Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cold Bore Challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cold Bore Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
I definitely do not want to hijack this thread but I sincerely believe the Burris Eliminator 3 will greatly help on this challenge if the rest of the components are up to the task. Temp stable powder, Seating depth all perfectly the same, brass the same and the barrel COMPLETELY stress relieved. The final and most important factor is the person behind the trigger. If this is not sincerely taken into consideration any and all testing will be tainted. I once had a gunsmith that was what I considered on of the best state that if he built one of his rifles with his "barrel stretcher" on it he could guarantee all cold bore shots. This was George Vais of muzzle brake fame. The Burris will simply take out all windage and range error from the day to day variences. Somthing a man can not do with consistency..

Then he can bolt the gun to a bench and never learn anything, Burris eliminator, some pixie dust from George vias hell he should just stay home and play video games. The whole point in this kinda shooting is learning to shoot in all conditions when that first shot needs to count. Making the man more consistent not eliminating the man. To guarantee a gun to shoot an accurate cold bore and being able to shoot that cold bore shot are two very different things.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
Then he can bolt the gun to a bench and never learn anything, Burris eliminator, some pixie dust from George vias hell he should just stay home and play video games. The whole point in this kinda shooting is learning to shoot in all conditions when that first shot needs to count. Making the man more consistent not eliminating the man. To guarantee a gun to shoot an accurate cold bore and being able to shoot that cold bore shot are two very different things.

Well said, and 1500 for a scope! man I could almost build another set up like I have for that! lol
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayne B View Post
Well said, and 1500 for a scope! man I could almost build another set up like I have for that! lol

or buy a real nice "quality" scope or rangefinder.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

After 11 days of shooting, what do you think your ethical shot distance is on a live animal?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Gold Member

That depends on the size of the game... lol

NO wind 7-800 ish

With wind like I have been shooting in. 4-500 ish

What do you think after watching all 11 days? and be honest.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Bronze Member

I'd like to see video of several days of shooting like this with the burris scope setup.

Can it really do it or not...?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

I think you need to be hunting with a caliber that's a little better for dealing with those winds that have been troubling you. But as far as this challenge goes, it's probably fun trying to figure it out. Just not sure, (if you were doing this to be better prepared for hunting season) if I would be practicing with the rifle you're using.