Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

coating rifle barrels and action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

coating rifle barrels and action

so i wanna coat my rifle barrel and action i dnt really like the stainless whats the best way of doing it

thanks

lucas
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: coating rifle barrels and action

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbothepunk View Post
so i wanna coat my rifle barrel and action i dnt really like the stainless whats the best way of doing it

thanks

lucas
There are different coatings that you can have done (Baked on finish) or you can buy spray
on finishes from Brownells (Most are epoxy based and require around 5 days to cure properly
but they are very tough),

Last but not least you can do your own camo job on the rifle (Which a lot of people do) and
camo it to match your taste or the terrain. Most people use krylon for this.
I like to first coat the rifle (After a good solvent cleaning) with a dark green for the base cote
Then I use a light gray and just lightly dust the rifle in random spots to break up the solid
green. Then using different plants from the area to be hunted (Pine needles,oak leaf branches,
Cat tail reads, ETC) lay them on the rifle and dust the area using flat black outlining the foliage.
( this makes the leaf pattern show up green where the base paint is coverd by the foliage).

This method is easy and the end results are pleasing with a little practice you can make it like you want.

Also if you camo your rifle cover the lenses and bolt to prevent over spray and do the whole
rifle, scope, stock and all.

There are some examples of different cammo on this site if you do a search.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

thanks

just want a basic black lol nothing fancy
Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM
SPONSOR

I use and offer Duracoat. It looks very nice and isn't too expensive. Here's one I did in all matte black.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

yeh i was thinking dura coat its about 250 nz$, 500 odd us$ tho and i was thinking there mite be a cheaper alternitive for the time being but then if ya gonna do y not do it now nt later. very nice looking rifle btw
Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

+1 on Duracoat especially the SL (self lubricating).
Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

can you duracoat yourself?