Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Coal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Coal

Does COAL make that much difference in accuracy? I am loading Berger 150 GN in a 270 Win.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Coal

Book COAL is just a reference for industry standard. You have to find what OAL your rifle likes and shoots well.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

COAL does, in fact, have something to do with accuracy, in a way. In it's most commonly used form it's used to set a maximum length for your firearm. If your COAL is too long your shell may not fit in your magazine. If it's too short you may be seating the bullet too deep into the brass using up valuable case capacity. Each different bullet you reload with will have it's own optimum COAL. It really has nothing to do with how close you are to the lands in the barrel when compared with other types of bullets. But is is a very good reference when recording your reloading data for future reference. A better number would be a Comparator Length, which is the length from the bottom of the case head to the point on the bullet that contacts the rifling. This measurement is useful when loading different bullets. If one bullet shoots good at a certain CL then another bullet with a different profile will often shoot well when loaded to the same CL. X number of thousandths off the lands will most of the time be the same from bullet to bullet. I usually record both the COAL and the CL in my reloading logs.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks Nimrodmar10 very helpfull information.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Load development has 2 major steps.

Find the right powder charge for your rifle/components.
Find the best seating depth for your rifle/components.

If you're still not satisfied, then change one of your components.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

Boy O Boy!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
COAL does, in fact, have something to do with accuracy, in a way. In it's most commonly used form it's used to set a maximum length for your firearm. If your COAL is too long your shell may not fit in your magazine. If it's too short you may be seating the bullet too deep into the brass using up valuable case capacity. Each different bullet you reload with will have it's own optimum COAL. It really has nothing to do with how close you are to the lands in the barrel when compared with other types of bullets. But is is a very good reference when recording your reloading data for future reference. A better number would be a Comparator Length, which is the length from the bottom of the case head to the point on the bullet that contacts the rifling. This measurement is useful when loading different bullets. If one bullet shoots good at a certain CL then another bullet with a different profile will often shoot well when loaded to the same CL. X number of thousandths off the lands will most of the time be the same from bullet to bullet. I usually record both the COAL and the CL in my reloading logs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Load development has 2 major steps.

Find the right powder charge for your rifle/components.
Find the best seating depth for your rifle/components.

If you're still not satisfied, then change one of your components.
I'm with both these guys. I was just lazy in my answer. Sorry!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!