Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

CO 1st season rifle/ May go it alone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

CO 1st season rifle/ May go it alone?

I got some disapointing news. My hunting partner messed up his application and somehow ended up with a muzzleloader tag. Well he found a group of guys to hook-up with but I'm sitting on a lone bull tag for zone 43/471.

I was very excited about this season, 1st time I would hunt with the rifle in CO. I have a spot all picked out that will let me go to 1000 yards. Last time I was out in Sept. the place was dirty with elk. (hoppfully it will be in Oct.)

I don't have a problem going alone, but it's always nicer to have company. My wife is not so sure, "What if you fall off the mountain." My reply "Well then there will be no one there to watch me die." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: CO 1st season rifle/ May go it alone?

I spend a great deal of my time hunting alone. Couple of things to consider if you haven't already.

Occasionally, I can get cell coverage in the wilderness area I hunt in. Cell coverage is usually spotty at best, so
I carry a Personal Locater Beacon (PLB). Of what is available on the market, a unit made by McMurdo Pains-Wessex out of GB seems by far to be the most rugged and dependable and packable (http://www.landfallnavigation.com/spwff1.html). ARC electronics has been doing a marketing blitz with their unit, but when you read the fine print comparing these two, the McMurdo PainsWessex Fastfind Plus is heads and tails ahead of the ACR unit, I think. I use it for climbing, sea-kayaking on the open ocean and hunting. This one combines a GPS, 406 Mhz capability that hooks up to the COPAS-SARSAT satellites for complete global coverage and it also has a 121.5 Mhz homing beacon for when SAR crews get close, God forbid. The unit has to be registered in your name with NOAA. When this one is activated, the satellites pick up your exact location using the GPS coordinates via the 406 Mhz freq. Apparently, tests have shown that USAR SAR center know where and who you are in less than 5 minutes. At that point, either NOAA or the USAF SAR center will then go down a list of phone numbers you provide NOAA to confirm with someone that the activation is not false.

Only catch is you have to be concious, alert and oriented enough to activate it. Sometimes 'falling down a mountain' renders you unable to do so. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Gotta be conservative and use very good judgement when you are by yourself.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: CO 1st season rifle/ May go it alone?

I know what you mean about the cell service, this area you have to be on top of the mountain to call out. Dosen't help when your laying in the bottom.

I've been making some phone calls, hopefully one of my old hunting buds can swing the time off and buy a cow tag.