Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cleaning question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Silver Member

Cleaning question

When I clean, I will run 3-5 patches soaked with Barnes CR-10 through until the powder fouling comes out. I then scrub with a bronze brush several strokes, adding drops of CR-10 every four or five strokes. I then run a few patches through again soaked with CR-10 to get all the blue out. I will repeat this process two or three times. My question is this:

At the end of my cleaning session, my bronze brush will start to "scream" for lack of a better term. Does this mean I have cleaned it down to metal?? I get no more blue on the patches. And it does not "scream" the first couple of times I do the cleaning session.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cleaning question

That "scream" is the brush being pushed down a very dry bore, just like going down a metal slide and ya bare legs hit it, you get that squeal!I hope that was a good enough example for you.

I get it sometimes when I use Boretech with a bronze brush, hard on the brush, but man it rips the **** out of any fowling quick!!

Nothing to worry about, a copper bullet doing 3000 FPS ish down there will be a lot harder on the barrel than you will ever be,with a bronze brush and a cleaning rod

PS And if you dont know what the hell Im on about with the slide please dont go hanging around kids play grounds "honest officer I was only listening for the squeal!!!!!" I will not be held responsible LOL

Best regards
300WSMMAD
Old 02-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

I don't know. I add more drops of solvent every 3-5 passes or so and it'll "scream" or "screech" even with the first pass with a wet brush.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrucker View Post
I don't know. I add more drops of solvent every 3-5 passes or so and it'll "scream" or "screech" even with the first pass with a wet brush.
Have you tried a diffrent brush?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

This not a sound I would want hear while cleaning mine. I do not use a brush in my barrels just the right jag and patch and Bore Tech Eliminator.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabelas90 View Post
Have you tried a diffrent brush?
It is something I only hear when using a new brush. I've heard it in all my rifles. I'm thinking I'll call Barnes and ask them.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCKev View Post
This not a sound I would want hear while cleaning mine. I do not use a brush in my barrels just the right jag and patch and Bore Tech Eliminator.
Just about every gunsmith and barrel manuf. worth their salt will tell you to use a bronze brush if you want to remove all copper fouling.