Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cleaning a bore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Cleaning a bore

I'm starting a new thread due to it starting to take over Kirby's thread. So the question is what is the best option? Now I have heard to lube, and to shoot dry. But the question of moly coating comes to mind. Wouldn't shooting a Moly Coated bullet do and act the same as a lubed barrel? Now I prefer to clean to bear metal then fire a fouler to start my accuracy string. What I did find by doing this, is that my zero doesn't change. One the other hand I have tried doing the clean and shoot thing with a lightly lubed barrel snake and the first shot of a test load is always somewhere different then the following shots.

What say you, and keep it civil boys!!!!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cleaning a bore

Fifty,

Do you think a person would potentially get less copper fouling over a string of shot using Kroil than GJ before the first firing?

Which would provide the longest lasting consistency over the course of a string of shots?

Thanks,

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

The manufacturer of Gun Juice does not recommend against the use of the product for application for storage of a 'cleaned' bore. [In fact the manufacturer recommends the product for application for gun storage purposes too. Of course.. they do sell Gun Juice.] I've never had a bore corrode in storage when stored within my home outside of a gun case, whether the bore was cleaned or not, other than when I've left ammonia based bore cleaner in the bore (don't do that). I suppose if you live in a high humidity - sea shore environment - then better safe than sorry and clean and oil coat your bores after every firing session. Where I live - I just leaved the bores fouled until I feel that a cleaning is necessary for accuracy, or until I believe the guns will be in storage for 6 months or so. During the hunting seasons I just leave them fouled in storage.

After you've treated a bore with Gun Juice, I rather doubt you need to worry about firing the first shot on an oiled bore. The bore has already been sealed and coated with a friction reducing agent. Certainly the benefit will be reduced for a Gun Juice treated bore compared to firing over a bone dry steel bore. For non-Gun Juice treated bores, Kirby's stored lightly oiled method to decrease first shot fouling certainly makes sense. I'm glad he covered that and I think it a good standard operating recommendation and practice.

Placing some oil in the Gun Juice treated bore for storage certainly won't hurt anything but I doubt there's any perceivable benefit. Hey, if it gives peace of mind, well then it's well worth the peace of mind. $0.02 for the wetted patch, oil, and peace of mind.

Tiger Woods would be thrilled with the cost-effectiveness, comparatively speaking.

Last edited by phorwath; 01-15-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Gun Juice Manufact recommends application / storage
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Tiger Woods would be thrilled with the cost-effectiveness, comparatively speaking.

I think keeping his gun oiled was the start of his problems!!!! LOL!

In all seriousness, I have been trying to make a habit of cleaning and leaving a little oil for storage. I have also made a habit of running a patch with break cleaner on it to swab out the barrel just before heading to the field.

So is moly coating a barrel more beneficial than what was initially thought? Kirby uses a little moly mixed in with oil. Sounds like a decent lube combo.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

I've been spooked away from Moly treated bullets based on troublesome reports of the Moly sealing in copper and carbon fouling. Preface: I have no actual experience with Moly other than paper/research/reference-type knowledge. Based on that, I'd feel better treating a bore with Moly than the bullets.

But now that I've used GJ, I'd say you're better off treating your bore with GJ than Moly - IMO.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
The manufacturer of Gun Juice does not recommend against the use of the product for application for storage of a 'cleaned' bore. [In fact the manufacturer recommends the product for application for gun storage purposes too. Of course.. they do sell Gun Juice.] I've never had a bore corrode in storage when stored within my home outside of a gun case, whether the bore was cleaned or not, other than when I've left ammonia based bore cleaner in the bore (don't do that). I suppose if you live in a high humidity - sea shore environment - then better safe than sorry and clean and oil coat your bores after every firing session. Where I live - I just leaved the bores fouled until I feel that a cleaning is necessary for accuracy, or until I believe the guns will be in storage for 6 months or so. During the hunting seasons I just leave them fouled in storage.

After you've treated a bore with Gun Juice, I rather doubt you need to worry about firing the first shot on an oiled bore. The bore has already been sealed and coated with a friction reducing agent. Certainly the benefit will be reduced for a Gun Juice treated bore compared to firing over a bone dry steel bore. For non-Gun Juice treated bores, Kirby's stored lightly oiled method to decrease first shot fouling certainly makes sense. I'm glad he covered that and I think it a good standard operating recommendation and practice.

Placing some oil in the Gun Juice treated bore for storage certainly won't hurt anything but I doubt there's any perceivable benefit. Hey, if it gives peace of mind, well then it's well worth the peace of mind. $0.02 for the wetted patch, oil, and peace of mind.

What I'm really wondering is if Fifty thinks a GJ or Kroil 'coating' before first shot out of a clean barrel would do better for reducing copper and increasing consistency over a shot string.

I guess now that my barrel is treated with GJ, using Kroil would just add another layer over it. I don't know. Is that what you were referring to phorwath? Wasn't quite sure if you were referring to my post specifically or just posting in general on the topic.

I'm pretty happy with what I've seen progressing since starting to use GJ. It's just a rough factory barrel and I'm keeping an eye out to reduce copper fouling, which by the way, appears to me to be much less after using GJ over the last 100+ of 1400+ rounds through it. It may all just be coincidence, but since treating with GJ (and also gaining a better understanding of prone shooting technique and associated muscle memory and a great(edit: meant to say 'greater') understanding of loading techniques thank to this site, so it may be difficult to attribute all pos. results to GJ) I've had what seems to be a steady increase in consitent precision from this rifle. Last 3 out of 4 shots at 628yds when into 1 1/4" right on target after a couple of sighters for wind as I was too lazy at that point to try to estimate and adjust for wind before the first shot. Not the best learning practice in retrospect...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 01-15-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
What I'm really wondering is if Fifty thinks a GJ or Kroil 'coating' before first shot out of a clean barrel would do better for reducing copper and increasing consistency over a shot string.

I guess now that my barrel is treated with GJ, using Kroil would just add another layer over it. I don't know. Is that what you were referring to phorwath? Wasn't quite sure if you were referring to my post specifically or just posting in general on the topic.
My response was both general and specific to your question. Many opinions out there but I would go about it this way.

I only apply GJ to any of my bores after I'm certain they are stripped clean of carbon and copper fouling so as to not seal the dirt in under the Gun Juice. If your bore was cleaned with Gun Juice and you've fired 100 rounds since the last maintenance application of Gun Juice, then I would prep the bore for another swabbing with GJ and then shoot the first shot over the GJ treated/ wetted bore preferably, or GJ wetted and dried bore by the time you get to the gun range.

If your GJ treated bore still coppers some after complete GJ treatment, and you wanted to clean the bore due to copper fouling with much fewer than 100 rounds fired since the last GJ swabbing, then based on what Fiftydriver has seen through bore scopes, apply a light oil lubricant coating to the bore after cleaning to help minimize first shot copper fouling.

If you haven't cleaned your GJ treated bore since the last outing/shooting, then just go shoot over the fouled bore - a non issue.

As to whether Kroil is better than Rem Oil, is better than Tri-Flow, is better than Brake Free's CLP, is better than Tertra Tech products - I doubt that anyone knows other than the sales reps for each of those companies. And I think we know what they recommend. My thoughts and $0.02

Last edited by phorwath; 01-15-2010 at 10:30 PM.