Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

chrony beta

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Three Rivers, MI
Posts: 716
chrony beta

I recently bought one of these models. I always used a buddies before when load developing. I was shooting some factory ammo through a 223 with 22" barrel. It was hornady 40 grain vmaz custom. Box claims 3800 fps from 24" barrel. Conditions were cloudy with the ocasional peak of sunshine. The five shots I shot through the chrony left me with a extream spread of 198 fps. fastes round was 3650+ slowest was 3452 fps? I also noticed that the fastest recorded round was the first shot then it got slower? Could this be the chrony or the ammo? I will be doing some load development this weekend so I will be checking to see how it varies with some hand loads. I'm just not all that familiar with chrony's?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Forest Lake Minnesota
Posts: 30
Re: chrony beta

Unless your reloading skills are really skewed, I put money on the Chrony being psycho. The three that I owned over the years often had me pulling my hair out. I just started getting by without.

WS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 266
Re: chrony beta

I had the same chrony as you. I shot my 300 win mag with 210 grain bergers and it read 3050-3075. I thought that was a little high. My drops confirmed that I was right at 2900 fps. I bought a new CED M2 chronograph and it was right on the money at 2900 fps. My chrony beta now sits in a box in the garage.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,786
Re: chrony beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post
Unless your reloading skills are really skewed, I put money on the Chrony being psycho. The three that I owned over the years often had me pulling my hair out. I just started getting by without.

WS
He was shooting FACTORY AMMO.....geeze????
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,786
Re: chrony beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
I recently bought one of these models. I always used a buddies before when load developing. I was shooting some factory ammo through a 223 with 22" barrel. It was hornady 40 grain vmaz custom. Box claims 3800 fps from 24" barrel. Conditions were cloudy with the ocasional peak of sunshine. The five shots I shot through the chrony left me with a extream spread of 198 fps. fastes round was 3650+ slowest was 3452 fps? I also noticed that the fastest recorded round was the first shot then it got slower? Could this be the chrony or the ammo? I will be doing some load development this weekend so I will be checking to see how it varies with some hand loads. I'm just not all that familiar with chrony's?
Anything...and I do mean anything and everything will affect the readout. Sunshine...no sunshine...clouds...no clouds...etc. Bext you can do is find a "perfect" ( weatherwise) day and shoot them over and call it good.

Ive got a Chrony...same sort of "problems. I just use it as another gauge is all
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,012
Re: chrony beta

I've found using a white top easy up over the Chrony will give more consistent read outs.
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,786
Re: chrony beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I've found using a white top easy up over the Chrony will give more consistent read outs.

Hmmm?? I'll have to try that one!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: chrony beta
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS Beta Master Chrony AtownBcat Reloading Equipment and Components 3 05-26-2010 11:00 PM
Beta chrony ????? JEREMY logan General Discussion 3 05-27-2009 12:17 PM
WTS; Shooting Chrony Master Beta ST42 Reloading Equipment and Components 3 07-07-2008 12:08 AM
Beta Chrony for sale kellypeeler Guns For Sale 0 01-07-2005 11:21 AM
sold BETA Shooting Chrony BountyHunter Guns For Sale 1 09-11-2002 11:06 PM

Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC