Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

chrony beta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Gold Member

chrony beta

I recently bought one of these models. I always used a buddies before when load developing. I was shooting some factory ammo through a 223 with 22" barrel. It was hornady 40 grain vmaz custom. Box claims 3800 fps from 24" barrel. Conditions were cloudy with the ocasional peak of sunshine. The five shots I shot through the chrony left me with a extream spread of 198 fps. fastes round was 3650+ slowest was 3452 fps? I also noticed that the fastest recorded round was the first shot then it got slower? Could this be the chrony or the ammo? I will be doing some load development this weekend so I will be checking to see how it varies with some hand loads. I'm just not all that familiar with chrony's?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: chrony beta

Unless your reloading skills are really skewed, I put money on the Chrony being psycho. The three that I owned over the years often had me pulling my hair out. I just started getting by without.

WS
Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

I had the same chrony as you. I shot my 300 win mag with 210 grain bergers and it read 3050-3075. I thought that was a little high. My drops confirmed that I was right at 2900 fps. I bought a new CED M2 chronograph and it was right on the money at 2900 fps. My chrony beta now sits in a box in the garage.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post
Unless your reloading skills are really skewed, I put money on the Chrony being psycho. The three that I owned over the years often had me pulling my hair out. I just started getting by without.

WS
He was shooting FACTORY AMMO.....geeze????
Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
I recently bought one of these models. I always used a buddies before when load developing. I was shooting some factory ammo through a 223 with 22" barrel. It was hornady 40 grain vmaz custom. Box claims 3800 fps from 24" barrel. Conditions were cloudy with the ocasional peak of sunshine. The five shots I shot through the chrony left me with a extream spread of 198 fps. fastes round was 3650+ slowest was 3452 fps? I also noticed that the fastest recorded round was the first shot then it got slower? Could this be the chrony or the ammo? I will be doing some load development this weekend so I will be checking to see how it varies with some hand loads. I'm just not all that familiar with chrony's?
Anything...and I do mean anything and everything will affect the readout. Sunshine...no sunshine...clouds...no clouds...etc. Bext you can do is find a "perfect" ( weatherwise) day and shoot them over and call it good.

Ive got a Chrony...same sort of "problems. I just use it as another gauge is all
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I've found using a white top easy up over the Chrony will give more consistent read outs.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I've found using a white top easy up over the Chrony will give more consistent read outs.

Hmmm?? I'll have to try that one!!