Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Should I buy a Chronograph?
Poll Options
Should I buy a Chronograph?

Chronograph needed for reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Chronograph needed for reloading?

I have a prochrono digital and really like it. It hardly ever misses a shot and I trust that the velocities are accurate. I can't imagine working up a load without it, the loading manuals are just too far off on the velocities to estimate velocity that way. I'm sure the magnetospeed works well but the fact that you have to hang it on your barrel would be a deal breaker for me, there's no way to test for accuracy with something hanging off your barrel. Without going to an Oehler I don't think you can beat the prochrono.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

For your requirements you could get away without using a chronograph and it would be questionable whether the time, energy, and variability of the optical units would make it worth the effort. With the Magnetosoeed, and its convenience of use and accuracy regardless of lighting conditions, I would opt for using it for the additional information.IMO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
For your requirements you could get away without using a chronograph and it would be questionable whether the time, energy, and variability of the optical units would make it worth the effort. With the Magnetosoeed, and its convenience of use and accuracy regardless of lighting conditions, I would opt for using it for the additional information.IMO
I am definitely interested in chronographs, but the magneto speed is definitely a deal breaker for me since it cannot work with auto pistols. That would mean I would have to buy it AND something else for my pistols. Maybe I will go with the prochrono which seems to be decently accurate with few errors. THEN, if I really get into longer distance target shooting/hunting(greater than 400 yards) ill add the magneto for my rifles and keep the prochrono for pistols. Pistol speed is relatively important to me(other than accuracy/consistancy and safety issues) because I use plated bullets for reloading and you have to watch your speeds on those.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
I am definitely interested in chronographs, but the magneto speed is definitely a deal breaker for me since it cannot work with auto pistols. That would mean I would have to buy it AND something else for my pistols. Maybe I will go with the prochrono which seems to be decently accurate with few errors. THEN, if I really get into longer distance target shooting/hunting(greater than 400 yards) ill add the magneto for my rifles and keep the prochrono for pistols. Pistol speed is relatively important to me(other than accuracy/consistancy and safety issues) because I use plated bullets for reloading and you have to watch your speeds on those.
You might want to search for the thread on the new doppler radar chrony that's coming out in March. Barring some really bad reports on them that's the way I'm going.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM

+1 for the prochrono. I've used it for a number load developments and it's been quite accurate. I reloaded for a while without one. But now that I have one I wouldn't go back. It helped me catch a pressure issue between Remington and Winchester brass in my 223 as the Winchester speeds were significantly higher with the same loads.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

I did not think I needed one until I went on a pronghorn hunt back in the 80's.I went by the reloading book on what the speed of my bullet was.I under shot the first couple times.I came home and bought one and found out the book was almost 400 fps off.I know all my loads speed now.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

The only thing they are good for is to get your average velocity for a click chart. I have seen loads shoot small at 100 and have less then 2 to 3 deviation for 10 shot strings and not shoot at all at 1000. Like 16 inches or so. Same gun and have 15 deviation and shoot 10 shot 4 inch groups at 1000. I have seen this many times and in a lot of different rifles. These were all custom 1000 yard BR rifles. If it happens to them it can happen to other rifles. Matt