Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Should I buy a Chronograph?
Poll Options
Should I buy a Chronograph?

Chronograph needed for reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Chronograph needed for reloading?

While some say not necessary and reloaded for years without one, I reloaded with the old lyman 310 tool and lee dippers for years too. But today is 2014 and we know more than we did then.

a chrono is an indispensable tool for a lr shooter to build accurate loads.

buy a quality chrono and you will never regret it.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Is it a necessity? Certainly not. It is however a tool which you can use to become more proficient and consistent.

Keep in mind that 90% or more of hunters will never shoot anything but factory ammo and get by just fine. They are not us however.

The further out you desire to shoot the more you need to limit and eliminate variables that affect accuracy.

Further, a chrony can save you a lot of time and money figuring your actual drops and calculating your dope as you move on out.

I don't know anyone who has ever bought one that felt like it was a waste of money short of a few who bought cheap chrony's that were not reliable.

One thing about it, there's no other way to figure out how consistent your loads are for velocity without one and as you get further and further out in range that becomes more and more critical to success.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
That looks like a great product but a but a bit more than id hoped to spend. I was looking into something like the Prochrono. I basically would be using it to make sure my pistol loads arent to hot and for my rifle, that I could make sure shot to shot is consistant while looking for accuracy nodes. I realize the magneto allows for use in low and bright light and such but I feel like saving that extra 150 bucks is worth dealing with light conditions. Maybe im wrong though...haha
Not trying to talk you into a magneto speed but you will spend $200.00 on a so so chronograph
and for another $75.00 you can have a chronograph that requires very little set up, you can shoot multiple targets without moving the screens and changing your set up. Also you can use it on your pistols (Except Autos) and on a shotgun also.

The light is always a problem with conventional chronographs no matter what the price.

The other advantage to owning a chronograph is what you learn while using it for load
development.(It has saved me lots of time, money and helped me produce better loads.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Not trying to talk you into a magneto speed but you will spend $200.00 on a so so chronograph
and for another $75.00 you can have a chronograph that requires very little set up, you can shoot multiple targets without moving the screens and changing your set up. Also you can use it on your pistols (Except Autos) and on a shotgun also.

The light is always a problem with conventional chronographs no matter what the price.

The other advantage to owning a chronograph is what you learn while using it for load
development.(It has saved me lots of time, money and helped me produce better loads.

J E CUSTOM
Chrony's are like optics, spend what it takes once to get quality even if you end up having to save a little longer.

Trying to go cheap usually ends up being a lot more expensive by the time you finally get what you wanted to start with.

There may be some cheap and highly reliable chrony's out there somewhere but I haven't seen them.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

J E CUSTOM
actually that is an issue as ALL my pistols are autos...is there a decent chronograph that will work with those as well. Even though the Prochrono is only 125 bucks or so...I had heard it was basic but accurate...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

NOT... having a crony is like cooking your own supper every night...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

I dont use one at all to establish mv i go with the best way that i like the best everything lines up perfectly.