Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Should I buy a Chronograph?
Poll Options
Should I buy a Chronograph?

Chronograph needed for reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Chronograph needed for reloading?

Hey guys,
I started reloading for my rifles and pistols this year. Pistols for savings and rifles for accuracy. So far all has gone well(knock on wood) but I tend to stay on the low side of charges in my Nosler manual to be safe(for now). What are your thoughts on a chronograph? Do I need one or is it simply a nice to have? I dont shoot extreme long range or competition (not now at least). Farthest I shoot is 300-400 yards so when I stated I am loading for accuracy in my rifles...I am not talking EXTREME one ragged hole accuracy at 100 yards...just want to be under 1MOA in my rifles. So what say you...is a chronograph needed or simply a nice to have? I know people have reloaded for decades with out one but im talking now. Also, If I end up buying one...which one? Again, I dont need anything fancy...just something that works and is dependable...hopefully in the ~100 dollar range.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Chronograph needed for reloading?

I think they are a valuable tool and will help in every way for your shooting/hunting.

For your needs and for convenience Plus cost. I would recommend the Magneto Speed #1

I have been very impressed with mine and set up is a breeze.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

A chronograph is certainly not necessary and I reloaded for years without one but have owned a Ced M2 now for around 5-6 years and use it when first starting a new load. I built a stationary mount for it 16 feet from the front of the bench (I have my own range here on my ranch) The Ced is not the most accurate but at around 200 bucks it works for me. I have found the readings are accurate enough to use in Quick Load for the first time going out to the 460 and 800 yard targets. Gets it on the paper quicker and I can work from there.

I agree with JE Custom above pertaining to that new Magneto Speed #1. New technology great stuff. It has a lot of advantages over the older technology.

I think a chronograph whatever type is a good tool and should be part of the mix. Good luck with your decision.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I think they are a valuable tool and will help in every way for your shooting/hunting.

For your needs and for convenience Plus cost. I would recommend the Magneto Speed #1

I have been very impressed with mine and set up is a breeze.

J E CUSTOM
That looks like a great product but a but a bit more than id hoped to spend. I was looking into something like the Prochrono. I basically would be using it to make sure my pistol loads arent to hot and for my rifle, that I could make sure shot to shot is consistant while looking for accuracy nodes. I realize the magneto allows for use in low and bright light and such but I feel like saving that extra 150 bucks is worth dealing with light conditions. Maybe im wrong though...haha
Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

Not absolutely necessary to have one. I reloaded for a lot of years and didn't miss it. Having said that, they are nice to have, and I now have and use mine regularly. Try the Shooting Chrony, $100.00. I have used the same one, through several upgrades for at least 25 years. Plenty accurate.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

I would say yes, you should definitely use a chrono. You do not absolutely have to have one, but mv and mv variability/consistency are valuable pieces of info that you can only get with a chrono. I use mine just about every time I go to the range.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

got a magnetospeed best there is.with the 100.00 one you will have lots of errors.lets says you are doing ladder loads that you loaded up/you get 2 or 3 errors.load some more.with magneto speed no errors.mine has paid for itself just because of erros etc.now i will still use my chrony on pistols.you can shoot the magnetospeed at dark and it still works.just some info.