Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Chronic Wasting Disease

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2002, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease

They have found it in wisconsin now to west wo Madison the testing they have done show it in about 12 percent of the deer they have shot..
Old 04-20-2002, 09:42 PM

milanuk..As far as I know ALL collected monies go into the State General fund and then given out from there...bad deal to say the least. Thats my understanding, unless someone else has more info. These fees were supposed to go for game management and fisheries enhancement, etc., but a lot of it never gets back..then they have a problem with actually doing what they get paid to do. It's a mess and I don't look for it to get better. There is some good bucks (forget bulls), but you have to pretty much pack in or have private land to hunt. Probably why I pay the high fees to go to Montana every year or whenever I can. Lots of blacktails but them buggers are about as tough to hunt as anything I've seen. Mostly due to pretty thick habitat and not much in way of pattern as there is not much typical food source most guys from farming country are used to. They are tough! Where you been hunting elk? Been in the Blues?
Old 04-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

Littletoes:

I haven't been elk hunting yet. I live about 5 minutes from the Colockum Wildlife area, but I'm somewhat leery of going hunting up there (really small GMUs, and *lots* of people). The only other area that I've been to w/ elk is down btwn Yakima and Mt. Rainier (dunno if those are the Blues) when dropping off the stepson to go bowhunting w/ his dad and uncle in that area.

I may try rifle hunting in the Colockum this year, as convenience is always an asset [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Monte
Old 04-20-2002, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Milanuk:
There are lots of Elk around Wenatchee ohter than on the Colockum.I've shot 4 around the Lilly Lake area.

Landon.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Hey Wildart, another sad story about our state and how they handle game management. I grew up around deer park. The answer I got from a game biologist was 130 to 1. He said it might even be higher than that (140 to 1) because they do there surveys from a distance off of the surrounding fields and make an average. Talked to "someone who knows" about CWD in our state. He said that the state of WA is already testing for it on all reported road kills and at game check stations during hunting season. littletoes.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:51 AM

Blues are in the SE part of the State, near Walla Walla....still not as good as it could be. However...if you want meat, archery can be productive.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Seen a few cows last year, even called in a nice bull. Had to wait for a couple of cows to move before we could keep hunting. They bedded on a hill just above where we wanted to pass, 400 yards above us. All this took place just before the season started, and we wern't huntin elk. Just wanted to see if we could call one in. Buddy had a moose tag he filled the following weekend. Didn't realize there were so many peaple in and around WA that were interested in long range shooting and hunting. Killed a mulie a few years ago that was over 600 yards with a 300 win mag. No one can believe it except the 5 witnesses that were with me. They all thought it was over 800 yards. 5X6 mulie. Antlers arn't real tall, but big, big, body. Figgured he was gettin old and headding on the down side for antler size. Teeth were purty wore. But that's one memory I'll never forget.