Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Chrome Molly or stainless?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 AM
Bronze Member

Chrome Molly or stainless?

What are the pros and cons of each?

I plan on buying a new tikka or savage in .308 soon and am worried about point of aim changing with a hot barrel and throat erosion. I reguarly fire 5 shots quick, sometimes 10-15 if i catch the pigs in the open.

I'm not buying a varmint barrel, it will be a sporter.

Cheers

Stix
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Chrome Molly or stainless?

Stainless all the way.

As for the barrel wt. Don't go with a light sporter weight or you will regret it especially if you are shooting over 300yds.

I'd say go with a light VT contour at a minimum.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Stainless all the way.

As for the barrel wt. Don't go with a light sporter weight or you will regret it especially if you are shooting over 300yds.

I'd say go with a light VT contour at a minimum.
DEAD ON all the way!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Stainless for me too.

Your rapid fire practices will erode your throat faster than you like but I understand the reason why. Good luck with whatever you choose to get in terms of bbl contour. I don't like varmint barrels.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

I'm buying a stock rifle along the lines of a Tikka T3 hunter or CZ 550 American, These are not varmint type barrels but will they maintain a 1 moa group with 5-10 shots at 500 meters?

I have read that Chrome Molly being harder it withstands rapid fire better than Stainless. Although SS maintains accuarcy for longer and is easier to clean, barrel life is about the same.

My main concern is point of impact changing with a hot barrel, it seems CM may be a better choice?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Stainless for me too.

Your rapid fire practices will erode your throat faster than you like but I understand the reason why. Good luck with whatever you choose to get in terms of bbl contour. I don't like varmint barrels.
I should have addressed this.

Never fire more than 5 rnds in 5 minutes as a matter of routine and it won't be a big issue.

More importantly worry about accuracy, not speed. It doesn't matter if you put a thousand rounds downrange if you don't anything.

Work on the accuracy/precision and with repetition the speed will come....
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post
I'm buying a stock rifle along the lines of a Tikka T3 hunter or CZ 550 American, These are not varmint type barrels but will they maintain a 1 moa group with 5-10 shots at 500 meters?
No way to tell.

Quote:
My main concern is point of impact changing with a hot barrel, it seems CM may be a better choice?
No way to predict.

An accurate barrel is an accurate barrel, no matter if it is CM or SS so says most all good barrel makers.

I'm going to tell you my opinion regarding factory rifles based on my experience. Most are unreliable for repeated accuracy at the distance you are posting (500 meters). I'd guess that a Savage is the most accurate factory rifle available as I understand their barrels are button rifled. If you can get a Tikka or a CZ to maintain your level of expectations for accuracy with rapid fire with either SS or CM, I'd really like to be kept in the loop and read your experience.

There's just too many variables to generalize/answer your question. You may buy a rifle with a CM barrel that shoots like a dream or is a flat out lemon. Same for a SS. I've got a Hart barreled 270 and it is a #1 contour. It maintains less than MOA at 500 yards (not meters) with adequate cooling time. I don't rapid fire anything of mine.