Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Christmas 'yote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Christmas \'yote

Well, it isn't really long range (only 85 yards in fact) but it was exactly what I asked for for Christmas. Well that and just to get away from the holiday insanity. So uncle b and I got lost on purpose and managed to call in this Christmas morning coyote. 'Twas a lot better than the lump of coal I would have got if I would have stayed home and had a normal holiday!

Here is what a 40 grain Vmax will do to fur at a muzzle velocity of 3975 from a 223:

And this is where we got lost to. Hope this makes those of you stuck in the snow and frigid temps feel a little warmer. It was a nice holiday in the desert with no one around for miles. By the way, this is part of the Grand Staircase Monument on the border of Utah/Arizona.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Christmas \'yote

Awesome scenery for sure.

We almost had a similar one.

The grandson and I stopped by Tim/Tx place on the way to the in-laws Saturday morning. We got there a little late to hit the woods, so just headed to the levee there back of the barn. TIm headed into the woods several hundered yards over from us to get some limb rats, and as we were just getting situated out comes a yote at about 250yds or so. I had my 270 Win with us and didn't have time to get a real solid rest on him before he spotted us and changed gears. I hit just in front of him and he jumped up about 2' and reversed direction with the afterburners on.

It was still fun, like you said, we were not all cooped up.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 12-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

Nice looking fured up yote. And the scenery is just awsome. The pics are nice but it just doesn't do it justice.

I took the kids to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. If that place doesn't make you stand in aw and amazement the outdoors just ain't for you.

Last weekend I heard an ole yote give a howl and was able to wait him out. He came out in the dark, I mean it was darkthirty. I could just barely make him out in the 15x N/F. I had to pull the knod to take him out. The shot was only 234yds. which is not that far, but I honestly do not think I could have made that shot with any other glass I have ever looked thru besides the N/F. If you can't see him, you can't shoot him.

Tim
Old 12-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Bronze Member

GG and Uncleb
At least when you two get lost you headed south, where it is a little warmer. I heard Uncleb didn't even know the yote was close, call him super hider Uncleb. Or was he taking his Christmas nap? lol Another 400 miles for a yote, way to go. thanks for the pics. IP
Old 12-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Gold Member

Hey Goodgrouper,

Sounds like a good escape there! Nice country.

Just curious, how'd the sheep hunting go in November? If I recall correctly.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Silver Member

GG,

Good job on the yote'; that country is awesome! Glad you had a good Christmas. Yea, how did your sheep hunt turn out? And by-the-way, nice baseball cap, is it a custom deal?

Dave
Old 12-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Gold Member

Good job GG, the close shots are always exciting because the hunter becomes the hunted.

Are you using hand calls or an electronic caller?

I have a Foxpro 416B w/ TX5 remote and am just waiting for some snow. Looking like next weekend.

JD338