Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Choosing new gun, going father...help me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM

Re: Choosing new gun, going father...help me

Im just preferenced to savage as ive grown up and learned with one, but as well that's why I came here to get input from the wiser. My local gander mountain has 7mm rem mag but carrys nothing on the shelf in 7mm stw or 338 lapua

Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkins93 View Post
Im wanting to step it up a notch im looking between a 300 win mag, 338 win mag and a 7mm magnum. I just cant choose and have never had any experience with them. Any input would be helpful.

What is your intent with “step it up a notch?” Energy? Ability to shoot accurately past 650? Larger capacity cartridge? Hunting?

My “step it up a notch” first purchase was a reasonably priced Savage M12 308 when I made the decision to pursue hunting big game at distances past midrange (600 yards). I would practice regularly at distances mostly in the 800-1000 yard range. That 308 is a wonderful gun for building confidence and confirming weather corrections and is easy on the shoulder and wallet. I wouldn’t consider harvesting a big game animal past 600 due to the lack of energy but it’s a great caliber for practice. If your intent is hunting, Savage makes a reasonably priced M111 LRH in 300 Win Mag capable of achieving very good precision for a stock gun. The ability for achieving good accuracy with the gun is up to you. The Remington 700 Sendero is also a popular choice. I have both models and would choose the Savage if given the option to only pick one. Just my $.02.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

I have had several savage 7 mags and a few 300 win. I personally prefer the 7mm over the 300. Nice thing about the savage is when you shoot out a barrel ( or like me just get bored with it) it is fairly inexpensive to put a new barrel on. I have a savage 308 that I shoot at and past 1000 and it is a factory gun with good handloads.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM

I like the 300 win mag. That is my personal preference only. Any of the calibers that you listed should do fine. I have used my brothers Rem 700 chambered in 300 win mag for many years, and finally bought one for myself last spring. After much research I went with the Rem 700 5R Milspec in 300 win mag. I had some trouble with it the first time out (broken extractor on the 3rd round) but after having a sako extractor installed it has been good to go. I have only put factory ammo through it at this point, and it has shot sub moa with eveything I have used. Next on the priotity list is a muzzle brake. From there it is on to hand loading and working up some loads. I am interested in loading the Berger 230 gr OTM bullet, the Nosler 210 gr Accubond bullet, and the Nosler 215 gr Accubond LR bullet when it is available.

I'll stop now, I really didn't mean to go on and on.

Mark
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Gold Member

A lot comes down to what your intent is. Are you just wanting to shoot paper at longer distances or are you talking hunting at longer distances? If hunting, what kind of game?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 PM

Ill shoot paper with it at long distance, but it will be used to hunt everything from white tail here in ky to large game up north. I have began to narrow my search to a Remington 700 with bull barrel chambered in 300 win mag and have been at the local shooting store that supplies all our police departments and is full of former military that work there and they have got me leaning towards the 6.5x284
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

Both the 300 Mag and 6.5X284 should serve your purpose. Benifet of the 300 over the 6.5 should be a longer barrel life and more energy.