Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Choosing new gun, going father...help me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Choosing new gun, going father...help me

Im new to the site so a little about me, Im 20 ive been hunting aince I was 5, father was a LEO and trained sniper whole familys military. I have shot to 650 yards but that's it.

I currently shoot a savage axis 30/06 with a bushnell doa 600 scope and a savage model 110e 30/06 with a bushnell doa 600. I have a H&R single shot chambered in 308 with a 16 power night stalker scope that I shoot regularly to 600 with .

Im wanting to step it up a notch im looking between a 300 win mag, 338 win mag and a 7mm magnum. I just cant choose and have never had any experience with them. Any input would be helpful.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Choosing new gun, going father...help me

7mm RemMag is a good caliber. I think you should also look into the 7mmSTW if you are wanting a true heavy-hitting long-range 7mm.

Welcome to the site, and hope you enjoy your stay and find the answers you're looking for.

300 WinMag is also a great caliber, I'm just not a fan.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Have been reading for a few hours and have seen that the 300 family is not real popular for the distances. The 7mm family looks promising. I have been looking at/toying with the idea of purchasing a new savage model 11/111 338 lapua mag, New msrp is 1290 which to me is reasonable. Anyone have any experience with this rifle?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, my knowledge does not broaden over the Savage brand, so I will be of no help in that category. I am more of a Rem 700 guy.

But a guy I know just bought one of those, but I haven't talked to him lately to see if he has shot it yet. Last time I talked with him, he had just bought it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Well okay in your personal opinion what Remington would you recommend for 850yds+
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I would say find you a 700 Sendero SF in 7mmSTW, or if you cannot find a used one (they haven't made them in about 10 years), The next best alternative would be to buy a Remington 700 Sendero SFII in 7mmRemMag, and have the chamber reamed to 7mmSTW, and have the barrel and action trued, while the barrel is off. You should be in a 1000 yard semi-custom shooter for under $1,500.

However, if you want a Savage, go for it. I just don't have any hands-on experience with the Savages, other than their rimfire .22's and .17HMR's.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Repete