Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Choose your range finder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Choose your range finder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
No your not raining on my parade. I want to learn. Pour it on me. Brad
A good Leica 1600 will get you about 1000 yds on deer over relatively flat ground. Steep, mountain country will give you a further reading, because you're likely getting the ground behind the deer, rather than the deer.

The Swarovski supposedly gives furthest readings, but as Broz said; you might not be ranging what you think you are due to the bigger beam.

I've not seen any of the G7 brand in use yet. The ballistic solutions may be nice, but if the unit is really slow to recover from a reading, then the programing is probably why. I'd rather not have the ballistic programing in the rangefinder. I'd rather take 3 or 4 readings quickly (to confirm that I am getting the right range), and then look to my rifle stock, notebook or pocket PC for the firing solution. Just my preference.

Seems to me that the Vectronix is the hands down winner, especially for ranging beyond 1000 yds.

Reason I underlined good is because some of us have had to try 2 or even 3 Leica 1600's before we got one that worked like it's supposed to........don't think they've got all the bugs worked out yet. The 1200 yd models seem to have few problems (very few that I've heard of anyway).

Some of the Swarovski's had problems initially too I've been told.

Last edited by SBruce; 08-27-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

S Bruce I believe you can range continious on targeting mode. Wouldn't that solve the problem of slow recovery? You could also at the same time range near objects to validate range. Is this right or am I misunderstanding something( allways possible) I apoligize for all these questions but I only want to spend this kind of money once and don't have the $4000.00 and up for vectronix equip. Thank's, Brad
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

SBruce you say you have to go through 2-3 leica 1600's to get one as advertised. What is not working as advertised and Why? Thank's, Brad
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
SBruce you say you have to go through 2-3 leica 1600's to get one as advertised. What is not working as advertised and Why? Thank's, Brad
They wouldn't range anywhere near the advertised distances.

I was comparing my first one to an old 1200 model, and the 1200 would range further on small targets, it would also do it quicker with fewer attempts. Sure, the 1600 would range further on large flat surfaces or something reflective, but I don't hunt stop signs and buildings or large trees and large cut banks. The 2nd one seems to work like it should though.

There's some other threads here on this site that discuss the issues with rangefinders, a search should bring up tons of info for you. Here are some:

Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster

Very happy with leica so for

Leica crf 1600

Yes, the scan mode helps speed things up, but it only helps. The 1600's are much slower than the 1200's. Only reason I can think of is the extra calculations it's trying to do. Even with this feature turned off, it probably takes twice as long to get a reading as the old 1200 model did.

Ranging objects nearby can work on a steep slope that is opposite of you, but on relatively flat ground; the sagebrush you're ranging that "appears" to be next to the animal, could really easily be 25-50 yds further. Even at "short" ranges of say 600 yds, a 25yd error on the range can mean a poor hit/near miss on an antelope. This goes back to the benefit of small beam divergence too.

Last edited by SBruce; 08-27-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

i bought the leica 1600 just before this years sheep hunt and i love it. I was ranging sheep at 1500yrds consistantly and i acually ranged a mountain at 1803 yrds several times. definatly a good LITTLE unit.