Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

choate stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

choate stock?

I am in the market for a new stock and am contemplating a choate, HS, or Mcmillan. I will be shooting off of an Ultimate Tripod. Are any of these more accurate than the other. If so, Why? I will be shooting a 300 win mag. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:26 PM

Re: choate stock?

I have a choate ultimate varmint stock and I like it alot. It is on rem 700 sh. Its all in what you want but the choate is about $176.00 in brownells. The H.S. is about $300.00 and up. What ever stock you my get you my have to have some work done to it. The stock dose help on accurate some what alot of it in the action and the barrel.I had my action beded os the barrel is free floated. The reason I want with choate is the price. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

Samson,
I have 3 choate stocks on and they work excellent for me!

Regards,
Dan
Old 12-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

I just dont know if the extra money for a Mcmillan or HS is worth it. Choate seems like a reasonable item.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

I have two and have typed up a list of concerns on a couple of boards.

Pros:
1. Very strong construction
2. Cool tactical styling
3. Love the pistol grip
4. Good size and feel
5. Minimal cost/low risk for a new heavy duty stock
6. Lots of room to add weight if a heavy gun is your choice, I expoxied about 4 pound of lead shot in the forend and pistol grip of one of them.

Cons:
1. Too heavy to carry around
2. There are serrations on the btton of forend and bottom of the back of the stock. My front rest sand bag was conforming to the serrations and I felt like the stock was bumping up over the serrations each time I shot. I screwed flat pieces of aluminum to the bottom of the forend and bottom of the back of the stock so the stock would ride smotthly on the rests. This would not be a problem if one were to only shoot off of a bipod.
3. The aluminum bedding block is great, but my action and recoil lug did not sit squarely and make full contact. I bedded the entire action and recoil lug area in steel based expoy - Devcon to fix this.
4. The rail in the forend does not attach very securely. Broke the wing nut off in short order. That one screw just does give me the confience that the rail will stay in there.
5. The bottom of the back of the stock is flat and wide and does not fit on a conventional rear bag that well.

Just a few thoughts ...

Doug
Old 12-20-2003, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input. I just talked to Sid goodling and I think he sold me on the Mcmillan stock.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Here is a link to the modifications I made to the Choate stock. Got to:
http://dwmeyer.com/Pics0012.htm

Doug

Hopefully my web server stays up ...