Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cheap Target Cam in Your Picket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cheap Target Cam in Your Picket

The camera will have its own software nothing fancy. The router will also but you usually adjust settings based on a preset IP address that will take you to a screen on your browser where you can tweak it. You won't really need to other than possibly some very minor requirements.

If you look at the 15db antennas they will say up to 2 miles. In talking to a couple of propeller heads at work tey said half the mfg claims is usually pretty easy to attain, so should be good out to 1 mile unobstructed. The higher you can get the signal the further is also another variable.

I can dig up my notes on the router and camera set up when you give it a go so you have step by step.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 AM

I'm chasing this down as well. One can be had off the shelf from here: http://www.bullseyecamera.com/index.html

My goal is to stream video at 1000 yards to my laptop at low cost (~$250).

A bridge for this can be found here: 802.11 g/n 150 Mbps 1 km range wireless Bridge - Wireless @microseven

Pair this with a $50 camera and battery pack and you're off to the races! I've got a query to Microseven about this setup. Another route is the UAV crowd: Google FPV (first person view). Some good deals can be had.

I'd love to hear what you come up with. I'll report back after my contact at Microseven calls back.

Semper fi!

Last edited by SgtNichols; 12-23-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 AM

More of the same. Very impressive setup: Custom Target Camera Systems being inexpressive and effective to over 1000 yds.

The Bullseye Camera System just came out in September. For the money, it's a steal. Hell, I might get two!

Last edited by SgtNichols; 12-23-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Looks like my "Cheap Target Cam in Your Pocket" thread got jacked by a commercial version.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Not sure what you mean. Is this something I can do for under $200 if I have a camera?

- Charles
Old 12-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

I mean I think you're a shill for this commercial camera system. You've only posted 3 times and they're all about this new target camera system. Are you associated in any way with this company or it's owners?
I started this thread with the idea of using my smart phone, not some rig with hi gain antennas, routers and such. I got jacked.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 PM

No offense taken. I can see why you'd think that, but I'm not. I edited my previous post and replaced the link after one of the companies I looked up was on the BBB for being unresponsive, etc. The $500 price tag is a little to steep for me at the moment so I haven't pulled the trigger. Honestly, this should be a $200 - $300 project.

I'm an engineer working at a federal laboratory, but before that I spent four years in the Marine Corps as a MP. Long range hole punching is a hobby of mine, mainly because I like the challenge of trying to wrap my head around all the variables. Tricks like adjusting focus on a spotting scope to read mirage are really interesting. It seems odd that more scopes don't include ranging reticles or angled reference marks for judging wind speed. It's also odd that more folks don't offer MOA reticles, and those that include mil reticles use MOA turrets. The shooting world is retarded like that I guess - overcome with "operational inertia".

Now, back on subject. The $100 bridge/router I found might do the trick as long as I stay in open ground. That is, if I can get by without a computer tying in the components. An IP camera might do the trick. I did some work with Microseven a few months ago, so I'm trying them first.

The youtube video in an earlier post shows a system that an electrical tech put together and looks low cost, but I don't want to lug a TV to the range with me. My laptop has an 8-hour battery and with an extended range IP camera, I could stream this to an Android or iPad if I wanted to. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys have come up with. I'm sure this has been done before.