Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cheap Target Cam in Your Picket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Cheap Target Cam in Your Picket

Okay, I haven't tried this yet but I'm sure it will work.
Unfortunately most of my long range shooting is solo. Just no one interested in my area. I'm in the middle of working up drop tables for a new 338 Lapua Mag. Trying to shoot groups past 500 yards can be a pain so I got to thinking about a target camera. I was wondering what kind of wireless camera they had that could transmit 1000 yards or more. I figured it must be cellular of some sort, like the trail cameras that send the photos to your phone or email. Then I realized I had one in my pocket. I use my Droid Bionic to video chat with my daughter at college so why not use it as a target camera. I'm figuring that all I need is a second smart phone with a video chat application like Skype or Tango. I simply call from one phone to the other and set up the video call. Leave one camera near the target, but in a safe spot, and carry the second phone to the firing line with me. Easy Peasy. The 8 mega-pixel HD camera on the Droid should work great.With unlimited mobile to mobile calling it's evenyfree. If anyone has already tried it, let us know how it worked.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cheap Target Cam in Your Picket

Wouldn't you have to add another smart phone to your plan? That can't be cheap! There was a fantastic article on Snipers Hide (IIRC) that outlined the entire process with a video camera, transmitter power source etc that was recieved at the shooting spot & viewed via laptop. Cost was actually quite reasonable & with the available equipment the builder was confident reception could be possible up to 1 mile... Part numbers, websites & costs were all included in the post.... very good read.

I am interested in your idea though, not nearly as much gear to haul around & worry about perforating!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

It is a good idea but i am not sure about battery life or picture resolution from a distance. Probably okay once you figure out how to mount it and keep it running.

I put together one for < $300, depending which antenna I decide to use. The routers are cheap and most of the expense is in finding a camera with an Ethernet port. I am using a cheap IP camera and a Yagi antenna right now but this antenna fades quickly after 500yds so I am still testing.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

I have multiple smart phones on my plan already so there's no added expense. Since it's cellular you can watch the target from anywhere in the country. The battery on my Bionic will transmit for like two hours and I have a spare. Can't wait to actually try it.I should be able to save a lot of time and energy not having to run back and forth to the target.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Good point and you got me thinking... I have an iPad and a laptop with cellular broadband so I could in theory view on a larger high res screen that would stand on its own. Interesting what software do you use? Is it just the native webcam?

I need to find an app that lets me use my old Samsung Fascinate send live video.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

okay figured it out! I guess my day off is somewhat productive.

Add Tango to your phone, iPad, etc. Set up accounts for each number and call the iPad. Tango does not work on the laptop ooVoo and Skype do it may save tie to just choose ooVoo for all. ooVoo also allows multiple calls so you could use the two phones you have on two separate targets and view both on another device.

Now I just need to see if you can see a bullet hole in the small screen and this is a slick setup as long as you have cell service.

Good creative thinking Nimrod!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Gold Member

Also just realized I can turn on the WiFi Hotspot on my Droid and use a WiFi camera at the target and watch it from either a smartphone or laptop. Several possibilities.