Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Chambering selection. Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Chambering selection. Advice

I have a few LR and ELR rifles and am looking at a new project. I load for 308, 30-06, 300wm, 300rum, 338 edge so the new rifle I'm thinking something different. A 6.5 or 7mm. This is the first savage project and I'm hoping for a chassis'd switch barrel single shot long action idea. My original options are .260, 26 Nosler, .264, or possibly a 7-300wm since I have brass and can just change bushings. Gimme an idea or more things to consider.

Thanks guys,

Jared
Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Chambering selection. Advice

.25-06 Ackley Improved 40* would compliment your collection well.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

I'm hesitant to go with anything in .25 cal as there is a poor selection of mostly unavailable, low BC bullets from what I've seen.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

You already have more than enough heavy-hitters... Just figured you might want something on the opposite end of the spectrum.

The Berger 115 VLD's are about the best commercially available bullets for the .257 calibers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

I have always wanted to build a 6.5-06 AI. Some other project always seems to get in the way.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman56 View Post
I have always wanted to build a 6.5-06 AI. Some other project always seems to get in the way.
That's what happens everytime I start getting parts ready for a .280 AI build.

First build became a .25-06 AI, the next became a .30-06 AI, then I had a spare magnum action, so I built a .300 Ackley Mag.

This time, when I get a another standard LA, it will be a .280 AI for sure.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

I own and shoot both the .260 and .264wm and love them both.

If you are going to shoot in high volume then the .260 is the way to go.

I'm adding a .26 Nosler this year as a hunting rifle and no, I don't plan to shoot it a lot but then I don't really shoot any more than is necessary to work up good loads and sight one in other than to shoot critters.

The 6.5-284 of course is one that should be on your list to consider as well. Great caliber.