Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

center of scope to bore exbal question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

center of scope to bore exbal question

What i am doing now seems to work, but a friend and I are doing this a little different so i wanted to hear how you all are doing this. do you measure the distance from center of bore to center of scope to input into exbal from:

1) near the bolt, or

2) at the front of the scope

with a slanted base the two measurements would be slightly different ( i am thinking) but please correct if wrong.

thanks alot guys.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: center of scope to bore exbal question

I measure the distance between the bottom of the scope and the top of the bolt. Then I add half the diameter of the scope tube and half the diameter of the bolt.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

What I was always told, and what I do is use the middle of the bolt. I measure just in front or behind the turrets, which ever is closest.

Works for me.

Southpaw
Old 05-01-2010, 08:19 PM

I take a slightly different approach when looking at the height of the scope above the barrel.

From the objective end, I measure the scope complete. I then measure the gap between the bottom of the scope and the top of the barrel. I thing measure the barrel just below the objective end. Add all three and divide by two. It works well for me and is vary accurate as I can use my calipers to measure each. I would suggest this method takes out some of the guessing on the centre.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus32 View Post
I take a slightly different approach when looking at the height of the scope above the barrel.

From the objective end, I measure the scope complete. I then measure the gap between the bottom of the scope and the top of the barrel. I thing measure the barrel just below the objective end. Add all three and divide by two. It works well for me and is vary accurate as I can use my calipers to measure each. I would suggest this method takes out some of the guessing on the centre.
I can see dividing the objective diameter and the barrel by two, but why don't you leave the distance between barrel and scope whole?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

For a bolt rifle…….flash hole in the receiver to center scope tube. Use a caliper. Simple to do.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 05-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman View Post
I can see dividing the objective diameter and the barrel by two, but why don't you leave the distance between barrel and scope whole?

My bad...that is what I meant....