Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Case tumblers. Who uses them and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Case tumblers. Who uses them and why?

I use the stainless tumbling media and love it. The brass comes out looking brand new inside and out and in less time than the dry media!!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

I have a couple comments. First off, I hope your friend has good insurance. reloading for anyone other than yourself is an exercise in bankruptcy due to being sued or worse if someone gets hurt. Thats why ammo costs what it does, in part to the insurance issues.....Thats a big no-no

Secondly, as th charge butns in the case, it always leaves residue. That residue taks up space inside the case and can cause sporadic ignition, thy need to be clean inside and out plus the flash hols need to be burr free and unobstructed.

Finally, tumblers as well as media are a personal choice. Some like the vibrating bowl types, some like rotary. I have both. Rotaries like the RCBS Sidewinder and the Thumler Rock Tumblers are more noisy than a vibrator but can be run wet. Vibrators just humm. I have both and I actually like both so it's personal prefrence, like stainless tumbling media is a personal preference. You can buy enough cob, or walnur shll media to last a lifetime for the cost of one batch of stainless pins....
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

I tumble my brass for many reasons.

1= Clean cases are easier to inspect for cracks or defects before loading.
2= Clean cases show potential problems before they become major problems.
3= Clean cases don't wear dies as bad and size easier (Less effort).
4= clean cases chamber and extract better/easier after firing.
5= clean cases also retain there volumes better because of less powder residue build up.
6= And clean cases just look better.

Dirty cases ?= none of the above.

J E CUSTOM