Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Be Careful With YOUR AMMO AT THE RANGE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Be Careful With YOUR AMMO AT THE RANGE

Yes, thank god no one got hurt. I have to be real careful having a 6mmx284 and a 25x284 imagine how easy that good go south. One good thing i shoot hollow points out of the 6 and spitzers out of the 25. Little things you have to be careful on. I got in to a good habit even at the reloading bench many times i load for 3 guns to take to range. Usually this means 3 different powders i will always keep the powder im using sitting behind the measure instead of placing back on the shelf. If i see im going to not finish for the claiber at the time and maybe come back to it few hours later, i will always pour powder back in can then place back on shelf. I actually one time had some mixed powders got away with it at the time but now take the precaution of not to happen again.
Mike
Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Remember when Remington called their .280 ammo "7mm express" for a while? I know of a case where a guy went in to the gun shop and asked the clerk for some 7mm ammo. He was shooting a 7 Mag and they sold him "7mm Express". He fired one off in his 700 ADL and blew the wood out below the Magazine. When he took it back to where he bought it, the owner jokingly offered to sell him a floor plate to make a BDL out of it! The gun owner was NOT amused
Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

No matter how much experience ( I have been shooting and reloading for more than 50 years) a failure to follow basic procedure can result in tragedy at the worst or embarrassment at the least.

Two weeks ago I took my old Winnie M94 .32 Special to the range to re-sight for a new Williams aperture. I was surprised at light recoil, and astounded that I was not on the paper at 50 yds. Brought the boards in to 25 yards, and only occasionally hit the paper with elongated, ragged holes and wildly erratic flyers!

While gazing perplexed at the target boards, I glanced down and realized I had been feeding my .32 Winchester Spl with .30-.30 ammunition. Stupid, embarrassing, but, luckily, not hazardous in this case.

It was also remarkable how these undersized bullets immediately tumbled from the bore, with some smacking the 25 yard targets completely sideways.

At any rate, like the old pilot I am, I have forced myself to proceed once again through a pre-fire checklist without exception, including, of course, confirming the right ammunition on the table.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

fire-forming brass for your new 6-5 284 and doing load development in a 204, 17 Fireball, and your son's 260AI. IMHO it sounds like too much going on at the same time in the same area...assuming you had all this stuff layed out at the same time/table. Over the years I've developed a habit of only having out in the open all the stuff for one caliber/cartridge and it's rifle. Before I change to another all the previous gets put up and the new gets brought out. I also keep a close eye on anyone with me. Glad to hear no one got hurt.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Remember when Remington called their .280 ammo "7mm express" for a while? I know of a case where a guy went in to the gun shop and asked the clerk for some 7mm ammo. He was shooting a 7 Mag and they sold him "7mm Express". He fired one off in his 700 ADL and blew the wood out below the Magazine. When he took it back to where he bought it, the owner jokingly offered to sell him a floor plate to make a BDL out of it! The gun owner was NOT amused
I think that is the best one yet. I was at a Hecks a chain store around 25 years ago we had local. Asked the girl behind the counter in sporting goods for a box of 308, she said they didnt have none. I said right there they are she repiled no they are 38's.
mike