Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Be Careful With YOUR AMMO AT THE RANGE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Bronze Member

Be Careful With YOUR AMMO AT THE RANGE

Today at the range my wife, son and I were shooting a variety of different loads in different rifles to prepare for Prarie Dog season. I was trying to fire-form brass for my new 6-5 284 and we were doing load development in a 204, 17 Fireball, and my sons 260AI. My son had just picked up his rifle to clean it and allow it to cool and I took the opportunity to fireform a few rounds in my rifle. I asked my wife if she wanted to shoot it and she said she did so she sat down chambered one of my sons 260AI rounds in my 284 and fired it. After the she cleared the empty she said "my this case looks funny". I looked at the round and at first didn't understand what had happened. The case looked like a 284 case with a short neck then I looked at the rim and realized what had happened.
Can you believe it didn't seperate. Lapua makes great brass. If I can ever figure out how to post pics. I'll post a pic and you guys can see what stupid looks like. I never thought that this could happen. If you hold up the two rounds the 260AI is shorter than a 6.5-284 but apparantly Murphy is alive and well in Colorado.
And to add to the odd part the bullet impacted right with the other fireforming rounds. Go figure.
In the future when we take a rifle off the bench we will also take the loaded rounds off of the bench.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Be Careful With YOUR AMMO AT THE RANGE

Dang! you are very lucky that that is all that happened and not worse.

Like you said though remove a gun and the ammo for it and that will save a lot of grief.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear no one got hurt!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...picture-25504/

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Isnt it crazy how its always the simpelest of mistakes that can make you absoultely shudder. You set a good example and check the round before you load for years and years. then 1 time you forget............
The good news about it all is that 1. your all ok. 2. you all probably got so dang scared after that, that your son especialy wont ever forget to check the ammo first. and 3rd. you didnt report any damage to your rifle.

My dad taught me from the time I could pick up a rifle or gun to check the barell and the ammo. I started to become complacent after many years. The ocasional story of someone mixing up ammo kept me checking, but the barell WAS STRICTLY OUT OF FORCED HABBIT.......... I was up in Idaho Elk hunting. We'd ride dirt bikes in for about 8 miles or so every morning, then get off and hunt all day and ride back at night. One morning I didnt check my bbl before I chambered a round. Hunted for a while and something wasnt right, I hadnt done something that I always did. I stopped and cleared my chamber and found a small pebble just ahead of the bullet. The only way that rock could've got there was from the ride up in the morning. Must've flipped up off a tire or something and somehow found its way down the barell. We cleaned our rifles daily due to poor weather, but you wanna talk about a SHUDDER! Sticks with you and makes you think! Im glad my dad taught me to check.
You just showed your son why these lessons are important. That lesson weather it seems like it or not will stick with him for his hunting/shooting career. Ill bet you he never forgets to check first, or if he does, he'll remember befort he pulls the trigger, and clear it and check. Not to mention he may save someone else from the very same thing because he knows how easy it is for the simple stuff to sneak up on you.
Hey if you catch up with ''Murphy'' kick his @$$ for me too. Glad you and yours are ok.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

I can relate with your funny looking cases.

I had a buddy in high school that had a 300wby MKV and this one time I was riding around in the truck with him and noticed his empties sitting on the seat looked really short and goofy. I picked one up to get a better look and realized it was a 300 Win mag case but with the WBY shoulder and a reallllllllly short neck. I asked him if I could take a look at his box of shells. Sure enough, it was a box of 300 Win mag. I asked him why the hell he was shooting 300 win mag in his 300WBY. He said "are you serious, have you seen the price of the WBY stuff? This stuff is alot cheaper! " Now we were only 17 at the time and I knew very little but none the less I tried to explain to him it was a bad idea and he could possible hurt himself or worse yet me. To say the least I made sure I was never even close to him when that thing went off.

I do wish I would have saved one of the cases though cause they sure were funny looking short neck Wby shoulder cases.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Bronze Member

This story jogged my memory for info that I had read a while back and I found this link to be very helpful in being instrumental on wrong caliber combinations anmd has since been used on several Rifle ranges that I attend.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...mbinations.pdf
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Bronze Member

Looks like many others have lit the fuse without paying attention.