Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Care package from Fort Shaw - 1st. 7mm Allen Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Care package from Fort Shaw - 1st. 7mm Allen Magnum

I received the latest care package from Fort Shaw late yesterday and itís a beaut. Iíve been waiting for many moons to see this one finally done.

Fresh out of the APS shop is the first 7mm Allen Magnum, after Kirbyís test rifle of course.

Nesika action
Nesika 20 moa scope base
Lilja 3 groove, #8 contour, fluted, 30Ē bbl w/Holland QD brake
Chambered for 7mm Allen Magnum throated for 200 gr. Wildcat ULD RBBTís
HS bottom metal w/DBM
Rifle Basix trigger set at 1 3/4 lbs.
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS NP-R2 w/illum. Reticle
Nightforce rings
Scopelevel
ACI
McMillan A5 w/adj. cheekpiece and Decelerator 50% dark gray, 25% black, 25% white
Harris bipod w/Pod-Loc

Took some time out this morning from deer hunting and did a full break in plus sighting in w/fire forming loads. Temp was about 38-40 degrees and the wind was blowing about 15-20 mph.

Pictures donít do it justice as itís truly a fantastic rifle. It is proportioned perfectly, handles and shoots like a dream and just seems to be on auto pilot all of the time.

This is a typical fire form load at 100 yards in 15-20 mph winds using bipod off back of pickup.

This is some 200 yard fire form groups with bipod off back of pickup in 15-20 mph winds.

On the left is the new 7mm Allen Magnum and on the right is my buddies rebarreled Savage in 270 Allen Magnum.

Front view of the Allen Magnum brothers.

Iíll report more later when I get to the full tilt loads but for now, since itís deer season, to be followed by elk season, Iíll be hunting with the fire forming loads. After hunting season Iíll be back at the bench to see what the 200ís will do under a full head of steam.

It was a long drawn out ordeal to go from the initial planning stages to the final product but Kirby was super to work with and did a fantastic job. No detail was left to chance and all work is superb. I also bugged Richard of Wildcat Bullets a lot during the process and thanks to him the new 7 gets to digest the big 200 ULD's. If you're looking for something similar, just get your checkbook out, then contact Kirby, and Richard, and then wait. It shoots like a dream with the fire form loads and itíll only get better with the full tilt loads.

If you want to really have some fun, put a 270 AM and a 7mm AM on bipods across the back of a pickup and then pick out little targets at ridiculous ranges and either make them disappear or just simply put holes in the center of them. It just doesn't get any better than this. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Care package from Fort Shaw - 1st. 7mm Allen Magnum

Great write up. I just finished shooting in my 338 RUM Kirby put a Lilja 30" tube, Holland QD, trigger job, Sako extractor and a custom stock. I put my NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R2 (all NP-R2's are illuminated) and shipped it to Utah for my nephew to use elk hunting. All he could say was wow. All the guys at his range could say was Wow (ditto for my range).

I have the same thing in a 375 RUM from Kirby and 300 RUM. I'm taking the 300 RUM in a couple weeks deer hunting. I planned on sending my brother the 375 RUM (he and his son drew out on a private ranch). My brother said the big RUM would ruin too much meat so he's using his $100 30-06 with $75 glass. His best group at 100 yards with the old-6 was 5". I was getting 1/2" groups with the big RUM while fire-forming new brass.

I'm already saving for the gun you got. I'm breaking tradition away from my RUMs and going with the Allen 7mm uber Mag. I want something that will compete with my 50 BMGs for shooting antelope/yotes at 1 mile.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Bronze Member

Hi to all as this is my first post.
All I can say is what a beautful rifle and it shoots.
Regards
hjl
Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 AM
SPONSOR

Beautiful rifle-I'm happy for you!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Gold Member

Envy . . . Jealousy . . . Desire . . . I want one . . . Just a few thoughts than ran through my head as I read. Beautiful rifle!
Old 10-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Wish I wouldn't of seen that!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good looking unit. Also happy to see there is another lefty shooter out there. Your buddy, that is....

Had just about settled on a stock other than the A-5, may still go with the A-3 though. Decisions - decisions - decisions....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Important question: How much does she weigh? as pictured?

Good luck on getting those animals. Let us know how ya do?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

That is one fine looking rifle ss7mm, I love that stock with those colors. I am prepping my 300rum from kirby for the upcoming deer season. He builds an incredible rifle!