Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrels

I am looking to build my first custom in the next year and am really looking at the carbon wrapped barrels. I like the idea of taking some weight off the front end of the rifle. The rifle will most likely be a .338 Norma so I can lose 2" of barrel, but i may go the RUM or edge. It will be a semi light weight for caliber, Im thinking total weight will be around 9-10lbs scoped. anybody with light-medium wieght .338 Norma experience is welcome to chime in as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrels

Google ABS, advanced barrel systems to get some starting info, he also works with several barrel companies that know how to set up for the wrap. They are more costly. 2-3 smiths are recommended that work with them alot.You will have no trouble getting that weight in a 26'' barrel
Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I am using an ABS barrel on my 338 Edge. All things considered, it is a great set up. This rifle is as perfectly balanced as they get. The picture shows her wearing a Mark4 10x. The total weight is right at 10# without the bi-pod. This is only accomplished by using a Seekins AL base, NF UL rings, TI muzzle brake and a light weight firing pin assembley. The only other way to make this rifle any lighter is to flute the bolt and install a lighter scope. Honestly, 10# is about as light as I want to go with it. She kicks pretty good running the 300 grain pills. Currently, she sports a Nighforce NXS 22x50 so the weight has gone up a hair but not bad. A 2000 foot pound of energy at 1000 yard rifle being backpacker and back country friendly is a tall order. This system is about as good as it gets for a backpack adventure where the target needs alot of energy at a long ways off.

After 300+ rounds, the bore looks perfect. That said, I also baby it. I fire one and let cool for 2 minutes before torching another. It is hard to be patient sometimes but having a barrel blank that costs 900 bucks, I would rather baby it that cook it. When it was a 300RUM, it cooked rather fast running top end loads in 3 shot groups.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

I am having trouble w/pics lately, dont know why. Michael is right, you will have to watch components weight.My 26" ABS, smaller contour,338NM, 8-12OZ. is probably not for everyone. But I wanted a packer. I dont half the range time in to say at distance but hopefully soon as weather breaks. I think I saved on weight w/ Lonewolf kevlar,glass stock,alum. rings. I cuold cut another 8 oz. or close w/vari 3 4-14x40 versus the M4 6-20X50 THATS on . You can save weight, alum bolt knob, ADL style no bottom metal,deep flute bolt,talley type rings , mines not, it is pinned and 8-40 torx steel rail
Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

I really like your gun Michael, she looks like a elk killer from two ridges away. Thank you for sharing the pic.
Chuck
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Micheal Eichele,
Your Edge originally got me thinking about the Carbon barrels. I really like your rig. Right now I shoot a .338 RUM with a tupperwear stock, Mark 4 4.5-14X50mm. I like it and recoil is managable but it just doesnt ballance well at all, and I would like to go custom.
My passion lies in backpacking so keeping the wieght to around what you have I think is important. How do you like that stock? that is the McMillan HTG right?
I know what you mean about letting those rounds cool. In the summer around here its one shot every 20 min or the barrel gets toasted pretty quick.
Where did you get a Ti brake?

sp6x6,
your set up also sound very sweet. I heard abuot it on other threads but didnt realize it had a carbon barrel. I was thinking abuot going with nightforce direct mount (one peice aluminum), but may go with the NF ultralight rings.
What model lone wolf stock are you useing?
I may put my curret M4 4.5-14 on it, or step up in wieght to the nightforce 3.5-15... and maybe even the 2-10 NSX but thats getting skimpy on magnifacation for me.
I am also contemplating the bottom metal situation. although I want this rifle backpack freindly I also will be using it alot for normal carry rifle, so I may go with a DBM, which will add about a pound. but i dont see the adl style being that bad either.

What do you guys think about useing a removable break? I've shot my RUM without ear protection and it aint nice. generally you've got time when your setting up for a long shot to put a brake on... maybe?

getting sidetracked but any thought on thumbhole stocks? I was thinking rather tradional with the Manners MCS-T/TA or the Manners MCS-GAT. Both with 90% shell.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

I noticed in Michaels post that he liked the balance, I would say mine is nose heavy w/lighter stock. Stock is a Summit, I f you go larger wrap like his it would require different stock at slight weight gain. My brake is permanent, have a removable on 340 but a radial type. This is my LRH so I hope I dont have to take a blast in timber like I did on a bull w/340 and brake, messed me up all afternoon.I have a 325 w/ better optics for timber and will trade off.I almost went no bottom metal but it was just oz.'s and I get alot of pine needles and stuff on my action and wet, so I open her up an dry out nightly Ps I would not fell bad w/optics, I am worried of to much when I have to go threw timber to high timberline and I would probably went USO or IOR 3-18 type, but trying to save weight

Last edited by sp6x6; 03-08-2011 at 02:01 PM.