Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

cant or not to cant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 PM

cant or not to cant

I am building my first long range gun. I am using a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 with a Bell & Carlson medallion stock and a Vortex 4-16 PST. I have been searching regarding the bases and rings. I am trying to do this on a budget but want to get it right the first time. I have a regular 2 piece set of Leopold mounts. I just decided on this scope and have it on order. I plan on using this gun to 600 yards hunting and shooting to probably 800 for fun. Do I need to bring these mounts back and get a canted set. I usually don`t want to be hand fed answers ,I try to search out myself .I thought this answer would need to fit my equipment. Also please comment on the setup I have chosen

Thanks for your replies
Old 02-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: cant or not to cant

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquitlam View Post
I am building my first long range gun. I am using a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 with a Bell & Carlson medallion stock and a Vortex 4-16 PST. I have been searching regarding the bases and rings. I am trying to do this on a budget but want to get it right the first time. I have a regular 2 piece set of Leopold mounts. I just decided on this scope and have it on order. I plan on using this gun to 600 yards hunting and shooting to probably 800 for fun. Do I need to bring these mounts back and get a canted set. I usually don`t want to be hand fed answers ,I try to search out myself .I thought this answer would need to fit my equipment. Also please comment on the setup I have chosen

Thanks for your replies

If you are talking about MOA bases the answer is No. You wont need MOA bases for600 yard hunting.

For 1000 yards I like the 5 to 10 MOA bases because they keep the scope more centered and you can still get a 100 yard zero.

For longer shots a 15 or 20 MOA base is best but a 100 yard zero is normally not possible. The 10 MOA bases work well for F class (600 to 1000 yard matches) and the 15+ MOA work well for dedicated 1000+ yards.

If you go with a base that has to much MOA it will normally be at its upper limits and the adjustments will not be centered on the scope.

J E CUSTOM
centered
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 AM

Re: cant or not to cant

Thank you for clearing that up, Looking forward to replies on what people think of the combination of the gun setup I am putting together