Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cant angle calculation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Re: Cant angle calculation

Maybe for extra motivation and discipline to make sure we always use the anti-cant device?
- -
Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Unread 05-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Makes sense. Just to learn more of what effects our accuracy.All part of the learning curve.Thanks, Len
Unread 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Sorry, misread the post. Like DUH, I too am wondering why you would be concerned about cant angle if you are using an anti cant devise on your scope. Just curious.

I just have a curious mind. I tend to like to know what I am dealing with.

Also, If I know how much deflection I can expect from a certain amount of cant at a certain distance, then I know how much attention I need to pay to my anti cant level.

If you know the strength of your enemy. It makes it that much easier to defeat it.

Also on another forum, a bloke said to me that one degree of cant induces one MOA of horizontal deflection at 1000 yards. This sounded excessive to me so I set out to find the answer.
scientia est potentia
Unread 05-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

(Sine of the cant angle) * boreline center to aiming point center

Example would be

The sin of angle 6 degrees = .1045

Bore center to aiming point center= 1.7"

0.1045 * 1.7 = 0.177

This would be a close proximity at 100 yards. Obviously, the center of boreline to aiming point would increase over distance and compound the problem.

Hope that helps.

The best way to "defeat" your enemies is to never let them get close enough to defeat you. Get an anti cant device and use it. Dont make it any more complicated than you have to.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.