Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cannon GL2 longrange video question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Cannon GL2 longrange video question

I have a Cannon GL2 camcorder. Looking for information on what I need to purchase to get the best video possible from that camera at longer distances(1000-1500 yd range). Is there a telephoto lense out there, or maybe go with an adapter and a spotting scope? Any suggestions???
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cannon GL2 longrange video question

They make doublers that will make your Canon GL2 a 40x. The problem with the doublers is it also doubles the F-Stop so full sunny days are required to get nice video. Really if you want crisp great video the closer you can get the better. Heat waves and distortion and just the slightest movement all cause grainy unusable video. Dave Garrett
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

I ran into this same problem. It seems like all the high quality cameras with decent sensors have max optical zooms of 10x and 20x. I found I can get decent results on critters at 1000+ yards with some of the nicer "camcorders" that have 35-45 optical zooms. They can be had for $500-$750. Granted you will be giving up some quality compared to your GL2 for any shots that are zoomed out. But if you want to see bullet impacts, and have the animal look bigger than a mouse on your screen, you really need the 40X zoom.

The other problem to consider if you decide to get a doubler for the GL2, is that when you zoom out there will be some form of vignetting.

Joel
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Silver Member

thanks for the info guys
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

I have a 2x lense for my camera. But it will not focus when zoomed all the way. I talked to a guy with cambell cameras and he said I had a junk lense that comes with the camera. He said for 300.00 I can get a quality 2x lense. Will this make a difference? Should I buy that lense?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

short answer a different camera. you will need a lens that cost twice as much as the camera is worth. GL2's aren't worth anything anymore. I still have mine from back in the day just because. Since everything is HD you can get a smaller consumer camera with a 40x optical zoom that will give you better video. I'm running a sony v1u and a sony ax-2000 my 1.8x lense for the ax-2000 was right around $1000, and you still loose some quality. I would seriously look at a consumer hd cam
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

any suggestions on which smaller consumer camera to go with? I didn't research the GL2 before purchasing off of EBAY. I thought they were good cameras. Never gave it much thought until I seen cheap HD cameras at Walmart that had more zoom than mine. Figured I messed up.