Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Candian Moose Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Candian Moose Hunt

The faces tell everything. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At least you got in some good fishing. There'll be another time and on that trip you can take the 270 AM and do it right!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

I went out for a moose/elk hunt last year and spent 19 days in prime moose country including the horse back ride in and out and didn't get anything. There were only 3 days when it didn't rain or snow, we were at 4500' and 59 degrees north. Still I enjoyed the trip eventhough I had to call it a camping trip instead of hunting trip, lol. On one of the clear days I over-looked the opposite valley and saw at least 6 bull moose on the other side from 275 yds to 700 yds through the afternoon. This was after the antler change here in BC and I could only shoot a bull with either 10 points or more on one side or with a 3 point brow tine. A saw one that was legal, but there were two other bulls with him one I could see wasn't legal and the other might have been legal, but I never got a good enough look through the tres to tell if they were legal to shoot at that range with the equipment and my level of practice. This is what caused me to up-grade to my 338/378.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:27 AM
SPONSOR

Those two comparison photos really do say volumes. I hunt Sask quite a bit and I don't think I have ever been that skunked. Who did you hunt with? Because I do hunt up there I'd really like to know.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:02 PM
SPONSOR

I hate to bad mouth the guide because he really did try his damndest to get us a moose but there was little he could do. We hunted about about 1.5 hrs NNE of Buffalo Narrows by float plane.

Beautiful country, but the mosquitos are hell

take it easy Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Lerch,
Disappointing but yet part of the hunt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Last year my son Marlon, my hunting buddy Steve, and my self went from Nevada to Idaho Elk hunting on horse back. We did not see one elk, we saw a huge black bear but no elks, also we were surrounded by 8 wolves for a bit was a little freaky, my son had a 300 win mag and me with my trusty 300 rum... we made it back home. I'm learning though, after 50 years, to enjoy the hunt weather I make a kill or not. The ultimate prize is the animal, but that's not all of it. I admire your respect for the guide that worked his best. He tried hard and you respected that, that's one good part of the hunt.
You're right about the faces, maybe you can see them here just a little better, you're all looking good! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
ht

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:10 PM
SPONSOR

Thaks for clearing that pic up for me, I didn't know how to do it.

What do you think of my gloves and neck warmer in the pic, I am the jackass on the left who forgot to bring most of his gear. I didn't bring a neck warmer, gloves, or face mask. Luckily the guide had a extra face mask for me to use and I used a set of work gloves and some thermal underwear wrapped around my neck for a neck warmer.

Thankfully they weren't used thermal underwear!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Take it easy
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

lerch, I know how it feels, guided bear hunt in manitobas duck mnt. 33 hours in a tree and I see a sow and 2 cubs. When I booked the hunt I asked him point blank, Am I going to shoot a bear in your camp? "Oh yea, that will be no problem." The last afternoon my buddy and I are talking about how crappy the hunting was, and what a crappy job of baiting the outfitters guides did. That night he shoots a 250lb blonde. 14hour ride home I had to listen to that damb story and what a great bear camp that was. I was happy he got a bear but sick of him talking up that lazy ***** outfitter.