Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Candian Moose Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 AM
SPONSOR

Candian Moose Hunt

Well I am one pissed off country boy.

I just spent 7 days in northwest saskatchewan and the largest mammal I saw was a freakin squirrel. Our moose hunt was a complete bust. Not only did we not kill any moose but we didn't see any, hear any, or smell any.

I am not intersted telling a big long story about this but I will say that the country was beautiful and the Candian people are insanely nice, a nice change from us resident pricks here in Oklahoma [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I did have a really nice time and it was a hell of a experince but as far as the hunting goes it was a major disapointment. A large fire moved in about a mile away from the lakes we hunted on and I think this caused the moose to move out.

Our guide did try like hell to get us a moose but he could only do so much. I will post some pics tommorrow of our camp and the area. Hope the rest of you guys have better luck on your hunts than I did.

Take it easy
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Candian Moose Hunt

Steve:

Sorry about you not getting your moose. Guess thatís why itís called hunting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At least you had a great trip and what sounded like a good all around experience. This just means that you have a reason to go back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As long as your guide did everything he could, in the area you could hunt, then I donít know what more could have been done. Sounds like the fire might have put a hex on your hunt.

Will be looking forward to seeing the pictures of your hunt later.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

I completely feel your pain! I spent the last 10 years trying to get drawn for California Elk and finally did it this year. I hunted hard 10 days and never saw a SINGLE elk. And I had a cow tag!!! So if I had seen even so much as a COW I could have gone home happy but NOOOOOOO I didn't see a DAMN F&#$ING THING!!!! Not to mention that most of the elk that were killed were FROM THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!! And here I busted my ***** hunting all over the place and here I fianlly get back to my truck from a hard days hunt and there's 5 elk dead next to the side of the road with 5 different groups gutting them out. DAMN ROAD HUNTER WIN AGAIN!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Lerch
here's my hard luck story

Had a brand new gun built, Tested bullets like crazy. Dailed in the scope. Morning of opening day, 5X5 elk @ 500 yds. Just a sure thing. Couldn't miss. I could roll a running jack rabbit at that range. Nothing could go wrong. I was the best rile shot west of the Mississippi River.

Damn finnicky Ruger # 1 forestock was resting on a hard object in my pack back and shot went three feet over the bull's back. Never saw another elk that season.

Life is about trying hard, even then sometimes you do not succeed. But if you do not try, it is guaranteed you will not succeed.

I am 57 years old and have never killed a moose so I have something to look forward to when I retire. Thats really great to me that I still have lots of stuff to accomplish. Hell, I might even try my hand at 1000 yd pdogs.

Keep on Truckin
Old 09-13-2005, 04:06 PM
SPONSOR

Man I just keep getting more and more pissed,

Tell me if this doesn't sound screwed up. I spent 7 days in one of the most sought after hunting areas on earth and not only did I not see any moose, I didn't see any caribou, bears, wolverines , anything. Absoulutly no animal was seen other than a bird that weighed more than a beer can!!!!!!!

It just doesn't seem right to me that we didn't see any wildlife in freakin saskatchewan!!!!!!!

Sorry I am just venting here. I have never been hunting outside of Oklahoma and this whole thing has just really pissed me off.

thanks
Steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Gold Member

I have friends that own guide businesses. Everyone of them is a salesman. Yes, a cut above car salesman, but they are all have the same traits. They are there to make money.

I spent three weeks river back trolling on the Kenai river and never even saw a big king caught. But sitting around the office and the phone would ring about making reservations and the "saleman" approach is next to a fiction story out of a tabloid.

I don't care how nice they appear. They know exactly what's going on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Because they live there and have all the other locals to talk to.

I also used to work a gaurantied guide service for bear and mountian lion. The customer paid more, but the opposite was also true we didn't get a dime if we didn't tree an animal for them.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 PM
SPONSOR

Well here are the pics of the trip. These are only a few of them, sorry there isn't a dead animals in here.

Here is my dad with 3 Northern Pike he caught in the lake we stayed on, Hidden Lake.

Here is another pic of my dad while we were leaving one hunting spot. If you look around his head you can see several mosquitos that are chasing us out into the lake. Those damn things will drive you to drinking [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This is our camp. I am sitting on the far right whittling a piece of wood. My brother in law is sitting next to me and the guy on the left is our guide. We are sitting in the kitchen area.

Here is a pic of me with one of the several Northern Pike we caught.

This first pic here is of me, dad, and matt all in the boat on the morning of our first time hunting. Notice the happy excited faces of hunters expecting to kill moose. The second pic is of me and matt hunting the last morning, look at the difference in our faces.

This last pic is just a nice looking sunrise I caught on film some random morning.

Just thought you all might like these.

take it easy
Steve
1-800-522-3314