Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Can of Worms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Can of Worms

Okay. I have been shooting my whole life; rifles, pistols, shotguns, bows, you name it. I like to shoot and got into skeet shooting last year. Shot >5,000 rounds and like it. However, I think rifles are more my style. I don't really like deer hunting (rifle) in Louisiana because at the range I typically shoot (<200yds), it is not really a challenge.

I stumbled on this site and have been reading a lot for the past few days.

Here is the situation. If a person wanted to get in this game, what would you experts suggest? The gun will be used for Deer, Elk, Bear, and target shooting. I don't really have a preference for caliber, but from reading here, I assume 7mm RUM or .300 RUM. I would like to build/buy now and be able to grow from 500-1000yds with the same set up.

The budget is ~$7,000 and that will have to cover gun, scope, case and bi/tripod.

I would like to buy/build the best possible within the budget.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Can of Worms

You can do an awful lot with 7k. You could do a custom build, on a custom action, with a nightforce scope (or something along the 2k range, maybe even swing a Premier if nice glass is your thing). You could get the best stock (IMO), Mcmillan or Manners. That would leave you plenty left over to get into reloading, and a chrony, if you aren't already. For elk, I would feel comfortable with a 7mag on the small side. You could also opt for any of the 30 cal mags are up to the 338s. You could also go with one of the nicer factory rifles (sendero or savage LRHs) and save some coin for components. A lot of the sponsors here also have turn key rifles that at ready for 1k+. If it was me, I'd have a 338 mag, Lapua, Edge, or one of Kirby's mags. I think any 7mm magnum or 30 cal mag would suit you well.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

This is one of my dream builds: Surgeon action LA, Badger Ordnance bottom metal and clips, Manners A5, Lothar Walther, Lilja, or Brux barrel 25.5" 1.20" taper to .900" in 1:9 twist in 338 Norma Magnum, Pain Killer brake, Schmidt & Bender Scope, Premier, or Hendsolt mounted in Night Force Rings or Badger Rings with level and angle indicator of some type. I would also apply for my clearance for a suppressor for hunting. Harris Bi-pod with a swivel mount w/ pod lock. This caliber will kill anything in the Northern Hemisphere, and barrel longevity is greater than the 7RUM and 338 Lapua Magnum. This will allow for more range time w/o concern of burning up your barrel.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
This is one of my dream builds: Surgeon action LA, Badger Ordnance bottom metal and clips, Manners A5, Lothar Walther, Lilja, or Brux barrel 25.5" 1.20" taper to .900" in 1:9 twist in 338 Norma Magnum, Pain Killer brake, Schmidt & Bender Scope, Premier, or Hendsolt mounted in Night Force Rings or Badger Rings with level and angle indicator of some type. I would also apply for my clearance for a suppressor for hunting. Harris Bi-pod with a swivel mount w/ pod lock. This caliber will kill anything in the Northern Hemisphere, and barrel longevity is greater than the 7RUM and 338 Lapua Magnum. This will allow for more range time w/o concern of burning up your barrel.

Tank
I like your take Tank, ALOT!!! My twist on it is a Raptor action, Brux 1-9.3 over size shank med palma 26in, Manners MCS-T5A with mini chassis, 4-port Muscle Brake, Nightforce 5.5-22, Hollands level, and Snipertools ADI, Harris pod with lock. Chambered by me in a 338 Norma Improved!! Not that I've thought about it or anything

I would go with something that you can have a couple thousand rounds of very consistent, no throat chasing shooting with quality components available to you.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

I would contact shawn carlock at defensive edge ( 208-687-2659) www.defensiveedge.net and have him build a canyon rifle in the 338 edge topped with a nxs 5.5-22 x56.

go to his site and check out the canyon rifle, or the longrange lightwieght. I have the Longrange lightwieght and absolutely love it! in the last year it has taken elk at 535, 603, 1025 and a bear at 1065.

I saved forever for this rifle and just knew that it would be a once in a lifetime buy for me because of what a custom rifle costs. the problem is once you have one, you cannot help but to want one more!

I like mine so much, I have been buying parts now for over a year, and He is currently building me a canyon rifle. should be done here within a week or so!

good luck
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
PUBLISHER

I have some ready to ship rifles that would meet your needs for much less than your budget.

Long Range Rifles

Len Backus
Publisher, LongRangeHunting.com

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

For target shooting get something built on a 308 case such as a 243, 260, 7-08 or 308. Get into F-class competition there in Louisiana and learn the basics of long range shooting. Does not need to be a custom rifle. Savage makes some good off the shelf target rifles.

Then next year apply for antelope tags in Wyoming and go and hunt antelope. It is about the easiest form of long range hunting there is. You have a extremely high rate of success. Elk and deer hunting is much lower success rate and the learning curve to successfully hunt them is much harder and longer. If you cannot kill antelope at long range then you are really not likely to succeed at long range elk.

How to build a rifle is predicated upon your style of hunting. There are light walk around rifles and heavy sit in one spot rifles. Calibers are a lot of personal choice and simply needs to be adequate for the range and the game.