Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Can shooting into the wind lift your bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Can shooting into the wind lift your bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Great news. Yes the tubes on the nighforce, IOR Tacticals, and Mark 4's definitely have much more meat on them. You know you're picking up something substantial as soon as you lay hands on them.

Do you have a Right hand twist barrel and do you have the right twist rate input into your calculations?
Good question. I'm not sure, I'll have to look. The program didn't ask for that info. Can that effect reticle cant?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Next time try locking the rifle down and checking the adjustments on the scope by setting a target (with specifically spaced reference marks) at 100 yards. If it checks out then do as the others said and fire rounds to put it under stress. You don't even have to mount it if you can get something that will hold the scope perfectly still while you turn the turrets. I have found several scopes thats adjustments were not precise without firing a single round, some off substantially.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
Good question. I'm not sure, I'll have to look. The program didn't ask for that info. Can that effect reticle cant?
It won't affect cant but it can create the same effect of having your reticle canted.

Think about it this way. If you have a right twist barrel you calculate the spin drift which will be to the right.

If your scope is canted left, it will change your POI in the same way having your windage off will do.

Canted right moves POA left. Canted left moves your POA right. Your POI will then shift in the opposite direction.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
It won't affect cant but it can create the same effect of having your reticle canted.

Think about it this way. If you have a right twist barrel you calculate the spin drift which will be to the right.

If your scope is canted left, it will change your POI in the same way having your windage off will do.

Canted right moves POA left. Canted left moves your POA right. Your POI will then shift in the opposite direction.
I used a Wheeler scope reticle leveling system which seems to be quite accurate as far as aligning to the bore. I wonder if I adjust my anti-cant bubble level to "counter cant" the spin drift if that would work. Seems like it would.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
I used a Wheeler scope reticle leveling system which seems to be quite accurate as far as aligning to the bore. I wonder if I adjust my anti-cant bubble level to "counter cant" the spin drift if that would work. Seems like it would.
Level your scope to be sure it's right and then set up on something you know is perfectly plum.

Check your level while checking the plum line and that will tell you if it's right.

If the rifle feels like it's obviously canted then you never got the scope quite right. Sometimes they move ever so slightly off plum when you tighten the screws.

Always better to have everything correct and input your proper data in your calculations. It takes the guess work out.