Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Can shooting into the wind lift your bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Can shooting into the wind lift your bullet?

I'm working on a drop chart for a new 300 RUM shooting 210 bergers at 2750ish fps. It was shooting 4" high at 800 yards and shooting over the 1000 yard target. So I adjusted the velocity calculation to lower impact and now it is right on at 800 yards but a good foot high at 1000 yards.

There is usually a wind coming directly at you at the range so you are shooting into the wind. Can this head wind be lifting my bullets at the last couple hundred yards of the range?
Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Can shooting into the wind lift your bullet?

Sounds like mirage or possibly scope turret calibration (tracking) to me. I would shoot with out mirage first. Also make sure you are properly adjusting out all parallax. And of course check zero too.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

If you are shooting over flat ground then I would say no, the wind could not cause lift, at least not to the extent you're seeing. When shooting directly into the wind the air pressure should be equal all around your bullet which would not cause a shift in any direction other than where the bullet was already headed. If you have some serious hilly terrain and such that you are shooting across, then yes you could certainly be seeing lift. What you're experiencing could be a combination of incorrect data input into your ballistics program or even a scope that is not tracking correctly.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Yes the wind can change your bullet impact sometimes up sometimes down just depends on at what point the wind is hitting it.

BUT your talking almost 7 MOA in change. like Broz said you have another problem somewhere.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

It's got to be the scope. I have a Vortex PST that wouldn't hold zero. Sent it back twice. Finally holds zero but now it looks like it won't track. I already have 400 rounds down the tube trying to figure it out. Anyone want to buy a Vortex? I'll give you a hell of a deal LOL.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

"2750ish" sounds kind of low for a rum with 210's. Are you sure about the MV? This could be your problem......a "garbage in, garbage out" thing.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
It's got to be the scope. I have a Vortex PST that wouldn't hold zero. Sent it back twice. Finally holds zero but now it looks like it won't track. I already have 400 rounds down the tube trying to figure it out. Anyone want to buy a Vortex? I'll give you a hell of a deal LOL.
What rail base and rings??