Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Can a Ruger be "accurized?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Can a Ruger be "accurized?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedel1777 View Post
Okay I've been reading up on Ruger actions and rifles and it seems as though lots of people dont seem to like them, or at least the people who post on here.
Is it more difficult to true a Ruger action? Do the bolts true up like any other, and are the lugs are easily lapped?
Ive also seen that lots of people seem to hate the crooked front screw when it comes to pillar and glass bedding the action
Ive had excellent luck with my 25-06, but I cant seem to look away from all the negative remarks around this place about the m77 in general!
You will find a few condescending folks here who will put anything down you don't spend multiple thousands of dollars on, not their favorite action etc, or if you don't have "the right brand of scope", as much magnification as their scopes, yada, yada yada.

Fortunately they are in the minority and thus present only a minor inconvenience here.

Look up fifty driver and shoot him a PM. I believe he's built some of his customs on them quite successfully.

His facebook page.
Allen Precision Shooting - Local Business - Fort Shaw, MT | Facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

I have a rifle that my friends named the "Frankengun" because it is such a collection of parts. It consists of a late 70s Ruger 77 long action, a Schneider 24"#3 barrel in 6.5x55, a brown precision stock and a Timney trigger topped off with a Leupold 3.5-10x Vari X III. It is ugly but it shoots like a house afire. I have fired many 3 shot groups less than 1/MOA (some significantly so) with either Nosler 140 Partitions or 120 BTs. Carolina Precision Rifles built it.

Although I prefer Remingtons, if the right deal came along on a Ruger, I would be fine with picking it up and accurizing/customizing it.

Dan

Last edited by DZelenka; 12-22-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Here's my Ruger MK II 77 with a Hart barrel in #1 contour at 25.5" long in 270 Winchester. It is my first rifle I bought at age 21. I get 1/2" groups with it with just about any bullet I choose with some work.

That said, now that I've had many custom rifles built, I won't do another Ruger because of the action. It is simply a bit more difficult to work with but can be done. You can get the factory trigger reduced or get a rifle basix and you can get aftermarket stocks for them. I do NOT like the angle of the action screw.

My rifles of preference are trued 700 actions, custom actions, or Sako. My preference and arguably the preference of just about all builders.

That said, a factory Ruger is a great work-horse of a gun and reliable on feeding/extraction and unless you make a habit of shooting beyond 250 yards the Ruger will do anything any custom will do and I'd put my Ruger 270 against anyone else's rifle on medium sized game inside of 600 yards. I'm shooting 130 TSX over Re19.

When in Texas, I shot it at 500 and got a 4.5" group once and a 6" group once with 4 shots each. That accuracy comes from me, a fat, pot-bellied guy who breathes heavy and laying prone. The action was trued by a smith I used to work with in Tucson, AZ at the shop formerly known as Jensen's Custom Ammunition.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

If you get a replacement stock I would recommend the HS Precision with the internal aluminum bedding block. I've pillar bedded a factory stock before but it was a pain because of the angled front screw, but the HS eliminates this step. Just skim coat bed it. I do not think Ruger is a great deal worse to work on than the other actions. It's more to do with what a smith is used to working on and what fixtures and tooling he has on hand. I don't blame them for not wanting to make new truing fixtures for a gun that is seldom customized. If you look there are plenty out there willing to work on them. I am having one of my Ruger 77's getting rebarreled and accurized right now.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM

I have a friend with a MK II in 270 with a leupold vx II 3-9x40. He paid 450 for the gun and scope together. It's completely stock and shoots right at 1 moa or a little under and is just a budget/carry everywhere deer rifle. If you can get a deal I say go for it.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

After a little bit of tweaking my Old Ruger my low budget built this year is doing pretty good. 280 Ackley. After lapping the Douglas barrel she started to shoot and not foul up. I went with a Boyd laminated stock.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM

I own two, one 30.06 and another in .338 Jamison. Both have timney triggers and Hogue overmolded stocks with pillar bedding and both shoot sub 1moa.