Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Camo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: Camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Heater body suit ???? Walk in with relatively light stuff and then get into the "body bag".

Heater Body Suit | Home

I've thought about the heater suit but there have been a few times deer have snuck up on me leaving little time for a shot let alone trying to unzip and then grab gun or bow for the shot...I'd rather try the layering route...any thoughts on which outside layer for jacket and pants? I'd want quiet, water resistant...doesn't have to be water proof as I am rarely out in rain...and allow for multiple layers underneath....
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Gold Member

Personally, I would look at some better layering gear if I were you. Get some of the Under Armour 4.0 Base Layers, then throw on another solid layer like a tighter fitting 1/4 zip. If you have wind resistent outerwear coupled with this, you should stay plenty warm. With all the technology in the layering gear, I don't see any reason to be buying a size larger in your outerwear.

Here is the UA 4.0 at Cabelas: Under ArmourŪ Base 4.0 Crew : Cabela's

That stuff is WARM!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Personally, I would look at some better layering gear if I were you. Get some of the Under Armour 4.0 Base Layers, then throw on another solid layer like a tighter fitting 1/4 zip. If you have wind resistent outerwear coupled with this, you should stay plenty warm. With all the technology in the layering gear, I don't see any reason to be buying a size larger in your outerwear.

Here is the UA 4.0 at Cabelas: Under ArmourŪ Base 4.0 Crew : Cabela's

That stuff is WARM!!!
After all my research layering is the way I want to go now. I already have really good base and mid layers from underarmour but I still need good outer jacket and bibs/pants. Any suggestions? I want them to not be noisy and to be wind proof as you suggested. I am not really concerned about being waterproof as I dont hunt in the rain, or at least very rarely and I already have rain gear but it is somewhat noisy.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

A trick I do is place the large 10hr adhesive body warmers in the small of my back it does wonders.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the advice but I am still looking for a good jacket shell and bibs that i can layer underneith...open to all opinions. The jacket and bibs should be good in 40 degree weather but also, with layers, good down to below freezing temps. Suggestions?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
Thanks for the advice but I am still looking for a good jacket shell and bibs that i can layer underneith...open to all opinions. The jacket and bibs should be good in 40 degree weather but also, with layers, good down to below freezing temps. Suggestions?
40 degree and down to freezing with layers.... hmm I was under the impression you were battling single didgits up to freezing temps (rifle elk hunting). You probably can find a jacket such as fleece to fit the bill .
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Gold Member

Hmm, well I guess what I am looking for is a good outside layer...jacket/Bib shell that by itself maybe with like a tshirt...I could wear in 40-50 degree weather, but with some good base and mid layers(not cheap stuff) I will be warm down to say 15F. Maybe a jacket and bibs dont exist for what I want haha. I guess ultimately warmth is key as I do have some warmer weather camo(not great stuff) but I thought there might be a good jacket/bib shell out that can there that can handle warmer weather but would still be good in cold weather with really good layers....maybe not.