Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Calipers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Bronze Member

Calipers

I know this may seem odd, but do any of you know where I could find and buy a nice set of Vernier calipers. I just do not see any advantage to using digital and to get a nice set of dial calipers its going to cost a lot of $$. Any insight to where I could find a good pair would be helpful. Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Calipers

6" Dial Caliper, Stainless Steel Shock Proof, SAE Only *SHIPS FROM USA* | eBay

Lyman also makes some have not used them but sure they are good.
Harbor Freight Tools also makes some that are decent.

I like the Digital for testing bullet uniformity because of the zero feature, but use dial for the rest... I just like a Dial vs Digital Read out.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

I've heard some of the cheaper ones do not last and do not hold zero very well. I did find a set of Brown and Sharpe for $105. I would prefer vernier since they will not require to be re-calibrated and will last a lifetime.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

True, I always check the zero and clean the measuring surfaces before every use, None of mine have ever been off much. I think its me just looking at them wrong, and its always splitting hairs as to what is perfectly zero.

Now I can say this. I have noticed that on some of the cheap ones the sharp tips may not be perfect, I only use that part for measuring bullet crimp and all i am looking at is a difference so it does not matter. I use the Flat parts to measure everything.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

so is digital calipers not accurate enough? or is this just personal preference? just curious
Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
so is digital calipers not accurate enough? or is this just personal preference? just curious

Must be personal preference....I have 3 ...2 of one style and 1 of another...neither is better or whatever than the others

Midway USA for 2 of them and Brownells for the 3rd
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 PM

My dad has a dial caliper that is older than me. Really nice and it has an adjustbale zero, so you will never lose zero, and you can check case uniformity with it also.