Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

California hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

California hunting

Been hunting for a while. Nice to get back and read up. I will be going to Sacramento next week for two months. I will be leaving opening day of the rifle deer at home. I've been wondering what I can hunt in California (relatively close to Sacramento). Coyotes, hogs, tree huggers?? I would be grateful for any advice!!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Gold Member

Re: California hunting

I'd reccomend tree huggers, last I heard they were very plentiful down there.
I heard a good way to do it is to fire up a chain saw, or a bulldozer, and then set up near it like you would a bait station, conceal yourself really good, and wait. They will show up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

I wish I could help you. The tree huggers and the liberals have destroyed California. There are so many great places to hunt and shoot, however, you never know who might arrest you for shooting or hunting. I hope one day I will be able to leave this Communist State, It's being taken over by illegal alliens and leftwing idiots!!! Anyhow, I hope you find a place to shoot and hunt.

Wildcat
Old 10-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Since I live there, as far as hogs go I have no clue... Not into hog hunting yet but you'll have to go costal for any decent action. Deer season is currently open in the D3-5 zones which is close to you. A popular place for deer will be up 50 at the Cystal Basin/Ice House (many roads and what not for you to have access to deer there if you're willing to actually hunt)... I know quite a few people go up 80 to the Forest Hill area. I probably wont be able to hunt the zone until closing weekend which is the 29th because I'll be stuck up in North East X3b zone fighting the snow but I hope to come out with a nice buck but I'll take a young buck at this point lol. Those are really the only areas I can say for sure without totally getting you lost. One last spot would be to go up 50 to Sly Park, (the left takes you to gas and a taco bell, and the right takes you towards the lake) You drive to the lake and keep going until you find mormon emigrant gap/road which will basically take you around the perimiter of the lake once youg et past the lake 1 mile or so it's all open hunting up to highway 88 which is where i personally hunt. Hope that little info helps it'll be about a 2-3 hour drive~
Old 10-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Brandon. I'm leaving this weekend. I'll be attending Pacific Coast Horseshoeing School for eight weeks. The class runs 8-5 five days a week, so I'll have evenings and weekends free. I'll be leaving home on the opener of the deer hunt here. It's a relief to find I'll still be able to hunt. However, I'm not sure what I'd do with a carcass. Bring it back to the dorms?

I love to hunt coyotes also. Is there anywhere to hunt coyotes relatively close to Sac? The pigs interest me simply because I can't hunt them at home. I also usually carry a handgun in my truck. I know the laws at home, but what do I need to do to be legal in Cali?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

I think you can hunt wild pig year round in California.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

yup year around here to hunt