Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber Suggestions...have at it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Hate to kill this thread, but I also hate to waste your time!

I know the OP personally and he has decided to go 6.5creedmoor. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions if he doesnt get to get back on here and say so! He is dead set on a savage.. he is stuck between the 111 and 110..but like I said... Id hate to waste your time any further. If he isnt going to kill the thread, I will! Thanks guys!
Isn't going to kill the thread. It was extremely obvious from his first couple of posts OP was going Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor. His mind was made up before he started this thread, IMO. Consequently, I don't know why OP even started the thread but he had his reasons, I'm sure. Didn't stop the discussion from reaching several pages, though, LOL.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterrootBob View Post
Isn't going to kill the thread. It was extremely obvious from his first couple of posts OP was going Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor. His mind was made up before he started this thread, IMO. Consequently, I don't know why OP even started the thread but he had his reasons, I'm sure. Didn't stop the discussion from reaching several pages, though, LOL.
Ha yeah...I think he just wanted to hear someone elses logic before going all in. We all have our different opinions on the "BEST" caliber. But I think he had his mind made up a while ago. I think he was looking for "DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT GET THE CREEDMOOR, IT HAS RAPED MANY WOMEN FOR CENTURIES AND IT EATS CHILDREN!" pretty much what people told me when choosing between the .300wsm and .300win...I didnt care.. I wanted the .300wsm. Does it offer all of the perks of the Win.. no. Did I care.. no..
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Ha yeah...I think he just wanted to hear someone elses logic before going all in. We all have our different opinions on the "BEST" caliber. But I think he had his mind made up a while ago. I think he was looking for "DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT GET THE CREEDMOOR, IT HAS RAPED MANY WOMEN FOR CENTURIES AND IT EATS CHILDREN!" pretty much what people told me when choosing between the .300wsm and .300win...I didnt care.. I wanted the .300wsm. Does it offer all of the perks of the Win.. no. Did I care.. no..
Man...those Savages are Uggggly, IMO, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about how they shoot. I'd take an ugly gun that shoots straight over a pretty one that shoots crooked any day.

I've also heard the 6.5mm Creedmoor is an inherently accurate cartridge as well. The performance lags behind other 6.5mm cartridges but to each his own. I don't believe the Creedmoor is going to die away as it seems to be doing quite well. It seems there are more factory rifles chambered for it then the 260 Remmy.

How about hindsight on your 300 WSM? You happy you went that direction?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Threads like this suck you in, but end up being a waste of energy and time.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Bronze Member

QUOTE: Man...those Savages are Uggggly, IMO, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about how they shoot.

Hey,

Try restocking one. Do it well, and there is nothing "Uggggly" about them.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Man...those Savages are Uggggly, IMO, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about how they shoot. I'd take an ugly gun that shoots straight over a pretty one that shoots crooked any day.

I've also heard the 6.5mm Creedmoor is an inherently accurate cartridge as well. The performance lags behind other 6.5mm cartridges but to each his own. I don't believe the Creedmoor is going to die away as it seems to be doing quite well. It seems there are more factory rifles chambered for it then the 260 Remmy.

How about hindsight on your 300 WSM? You happy you went that direction?
Bob, Ill be honest with you. Ive made better choices...But i love the .300wsm cartridge. I love the idea behind it along with its performance.. What I am kinda regretting is my firearm selection. I chose to go with a browning X-bolt because I wanted a VERY light, short barreled, high powered rifle! In a sense it is exactly what I wanted. I bought this about 2 years ago and while it shoots decent Id like it to shoot a tad better. Problem is.. NO UPGRADES! No stocks, no triggers, (got the sporter barrel so NO muzzlebrake (TOO THIN)), and I thought the X-bolt was pretty cool at the time.. but the "4hole per base" "X-style" mounts are crap and they limit your selection on bases/mounts because they must have 4 holes in each mount. The duratouch is a nice touch but found it ultimately useless. The magazine is a very nice design and very tough but I hindered myself by going with a SHORT ACTION with a SHORT MAG. Now I can only load my .300wsms to about 2.8" which is about .3" shorter than what I would like. That doesnt sound like alot, but with the bigger bullets I would have liked a little more seating room!! The short barrel pencil (23") also hindered me when it came to velocity and the amount of time it takes for my barrel to heat up. I wanted a brush gun at the time... because I hunt here in VA where there are VERY little places to shoot over 300yds..

Welp... a year later I found a FEW places to shoot over 800yds and now I am kicking myself for getting a factory gun with such a short barrel and light weight. Everyone on here tried to persuade me to start a custom build and forget the factory all together.. Now...years down the road.. thats exactly what I am doing. I am going with a HOWA LA (I hear they are a tad shorter than some of the other long actions so the WSM are almost perfect for the Howa long actions) to start my first custom/semi custom build. Pretty soon you will be seeing a Browning X-bolt in the classifieds here and IT IS IN PERFECT CONDITION. Not a scratch, no rust, I clean after EVERY hunt (never target shoot with it, only hunt) LESS than 100rds down the tube and i would want LESS than 600 for it.. I paid 860 for it and would probably take 550 for it just to pay for a barrel for my howa action.

This post has gone WAYYY to long and I am sorry for all the length.. but needed to vent that to someone! lol
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

OP if you want to hunt elk or moose you'll need to go with the 7mm min with some preference given to the 300 Win. 338 Lap would be even better, but I understand your cost constraints with that round.