Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber Suggestions...have at it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

I own the Savage LRH in 6.5x284. Also own a Cooper in the same caliber. Both rifles are remarkably accurate with the ballistics to handle targets and game out to1000 yards. For what you describe, hunting from 500-1000 yards etc. the 6.5x284 will out perform the Creedmore in all aspects. If you set your game limit at 700 yards, the Creedmore will do OK. To effectively kill game at 1000 yards with any caliber your barrel life will be lessened, but no worse and perhaps better with the 6.5x284 than the belted,and short magnums. The light recoil of the 6.5x284 is an added advantage compared to the heavy magnums. I believe the 6.5x284 is well worth consideration. below is a 500 yard group shot with my Savage LRH. IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Caliber Suggestions...have at it-wyoming-2011-005.jpg  

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

You can always just buy a cheapo donor savage action, buy a prefit barrel and a SSS oversize lug put in a rifle basix trigger, and call up kevin rayhill of stockade stocks and end up having a rifle that can out shoot you for about 1200 bucks. out of the calibers listed though if you want to hit elk out to anywhere from 600-1000yds i'd suggest the 6.5 284 as a minimum. The 300wm would be better suited for this though. just my .02
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Hate to kill this thread, but I also hate to waste your time!

I know the OP personally and he has decided to go 6.5creedmoor. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions if he doesnt get to get back on here and say so! He is dead set on a savage.. he is stuck between the 111 and 110..but like I said... Id hate to waste your time any further. If he isnt going to kill the thread, I will! Thanks guys!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg4life View Post
First off I'm going to buy this gun in the near future
Savage Arms

I will be using this gun for a little bit of everything from shooting some steel out to 500-1000 yards (I hope) and hunting deer, coyotes, maybe an elk or sheep one day who knows. I just want a good long range caliber that I can do a little bit of everything with

now my question is what caliber do you guys recommend? I know everybody has their favorites but so far I am really leaning toward the 6.5 Creedmoor. I donít like the 6.5x284 cause of barrel life and a few other reasons. that being said what do you guys have to say about it??? I love the gun so don't lecture me on savage or tell me to go get a Remington 700. I have nothing against remmy's there great guns but I really like this Long Range Hunter. Now you guys got my input so have at it....
Between the two I'd go for the 6.5x284 hands down.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess I wasnt clear and I really thought I would be avoiding this but this is NOT a thread about which gun to get, its about caliber. you offered a caliber that the gun that I AM BUYING isn't offered in. I'm buying a savage end of story. I like savage and I don't want a remmington. I have remington's they are great guns. I also have a few savages and I like them too. I'm Buying the gun that I attached in my original post. now again for my question what Caliber (that is offered in the gun that I attached) would you recommend for what I'm going to be doing with it.

I really hate asking a question like this and getting people trying to change my mind I know what gun I want now if you have advise offer it but don't try changing my mind about somthing I didn't ask about. Thanks

and I'm not using the action I'm buying the gun and using it as is
If you are buying a long action savage it can be barreled in any caliber. You can for example buy a 7mm Rem Mag and simply have it re-chambered to 7mm STW.

For the purposes you list it's certainly superior to both of the 6.5's you list as is the 7mm Rem.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did consider the 300win but I already have one. I just love something about the 6.5 creed. I can't find a downside to that caliber
Except the fact that both the 6.5x284 and even .260 Rem beat it ballistically.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok well apologies to you just don't want to get into certain disscussions like what gun is better or those kind of things
Lets do this what caliber for what I'm looking to do is best?:
25-06
7mm mag
300 win mag
300 rum
6.5 creedmoor
.300 Rum, .300wm, 7mm Rem mag, 6.5x284, 6.5 creedmore, 25-06 in that order with the 300wm and 7mm mag being the best overall but the Rum will get it done a good bit futher.