Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber Suggestions...have at it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

I have considered both the 300 win mag and the 7mm rem mag because of their good balistics and tge wide range of bullet selection. As far as glass I'm still debating between vortex, bushnell, leupold, and a few others. I'm definitely going to spend time and money on some decent glass
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

I have a Savage in 6.5x.284 and it has become my favorite rifle. It does it all without the abusive recoil and muzzle blast of the larger calibers.
The 338 Lapua is just to much gun unless your after elk. The price of ammo is prohibitive to shooting a lot.
The 6.5x284 is very accurate, reasonably cheap to shoot so you can shoot a lot, and will kill anything up to elk size at extended ranges. I prefer 30 cal. for elk but that is just my opinion.
Shot mine at prairie dogs and squirrels and it does well.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

I chose the .260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor for several reasons. The first reason is the availability of Lapua brass. The second reason is diversity and availability of factory ammo, even though I reload. You never know when you might find yourself in a situation, beyond your control, where you have to locate and use factory ammo. The third reason is the ability to rechamber to this, to get 6.5X284 performance with less powder and barrel wear. Rechambering doesn't require a new barrel and you can form Lapua brass (or any other .260 brass) from a standard .260 load.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

260 or 7mm if you ask me
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterrootBob View Post
I chose the .260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor for several reasons. The first reason is the availability of Lapua brass. The second reason is diversity and availability of factory ammo, even though I reload. You never know when you might find yourself in a situation, beyond your control, where you have to locate and use factory ammo. The third reason is the ability to rechamber to this, to get 6.5X284 performance with less powder and barrel wear. Rechambering doesn't require a new barrel and you can form Lapua brass (or any other .260 brass) from a standard .260 load.
Regarding the performance comment of the 260 Rem vs 6.5x284. Understand, Im not talking every rifle or yours particularly, but generly the 260 is roughly 50-100fps slower than the 6.5x284. Or it pushes the 130 VLD about the same speed a the 6.5x284 pushes the 140 VLD.

Now before I get a bunch of people chiming in, stating there respected velocities, I know many custom rifles will shoot with higher velocities than factory rifles. That also works for both calibers too. That being said, every rifle is different, and I know some are better performers (velocity) than the norm.....but they aren't the norm, they are the exception.

To the O.P....I think that the 7mm is the best all around per your request. Not as much kick as the 300wm but a little more knock down power than the 6.5s, yet still maintaining great ballistic performance. I personally love the 300wm as the kick doesn't bother me because I have a heavier gun.

You need to understand that the level of shooters on this forum (not me) is extremely high. They are very precise and educated people. To ask what one gun should be used for such a wide range of applications is a difficult question. A lot of long range shooter have a particular caliber for a variety of particular situations. I guess what I'm saying is there is no one caliber that's perfect. You will get lots of info on this site, take it all in, then go with your gut. You won't be disappointed because all the calibers listed are good ones.
Brent
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
Regarding the performance comment of the 260 Rem vs 6.5x284. Understand, Im not talking every rifle or yours particularly, but generly the 260 is roughly 50-100fps slower than the 6.5x284. Or it pushes the 130 VLD about the same speed a the 6.5x284 pushes the 140 VLD.

Now before I get a bunch of people chiming in, stating there respected velocities, I know many custom rifles will shoot with higher velocities than factory rifles. That also works for both calibers too. That being said, every rifle is different, and I know some are better performers (velocity) than the norm.....but they aren't the norm, they are the exception.

To the O.P....I think that the 7mm is the best all around per your request. Not as much kick as the 300wm but a little more knock down power than the 6.5s, yet still maintaining great ballistic performance. I personally love the 300wm as the kick doesn't bother me because I have a heavier gun.

You need to understand that the level of shooters on this forum (not me) is extremely high. They are very precise and educated people. To ask what one gun should be used for such a wide range of applications is a difficult question. A lot of long range shooter have a particular caliber for a variety of particular situations. I guess what I'm saying is there is no one caliber that's perfect. You will get lots of info on this site, take it all in, then go with your gut. You won't be disappointed because all the calibers listed are good ones.
Brent
I believe you probably missed the link I posted. I wasn't claiming the 260 Remington would give 6.5X284 performance. I linked to a 260 improved that has increased case capacity and will push a 140 in the 3000 fps vicinity, which is in the performance area of the 6.5X284.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

My apologies, I did miss that. Sorry about that BitterrootBob.
Brent