Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber Suggestions...have at it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

I know that I would not even think about this one. It is like we are trying to reinvent the wheel here. The 6.5x284 may be a barrel burner but the 260 isn't. But as far as just about being able to do what you want and maybe someday you have to get a barrel screwed on then so be it. But I would for sure go with the 6.5x284. They are just a accurate round, and know alot of elk that have fallen to them over 500 yards didn't know it was not a magnum. I cannot explain why a gun with a lightweight bullet and slower mv kills like it does. Typically the lr hunters I have seen shoot great, butt we are getting 2900-50 on the top end with the 140's. The creedmoore would be maybe 2700. I don't believe you have to have alot of speed but I think there is a place when to accept 2700 and that maybe with a lapua with the 300 grainers shooting one whole.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Huntthedistance the main reason I would not consider it a magnum is that it has a smaller case capacity than the 30/06. The parrent case the 284 has a smaller capacity than the 280 and it is not a magnum. I guess the necked down version of the 284 could be considered a magnum cartrage since it is throwing a smaller bullet. But after all magnum is just and name. IE 223 remington magnum is and 22-250 is not.

To the OP I think JE Custom hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

Fellow LRH,

If you are looking for a savage long range hunter i would reccomend the 11 or 111 in 300 win mag. It may be a little big for your target animal, but there are other caliber options. I think there is also the option of a muzzle break.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Bronze Member

I think that all Savage LRH's come with breakes on them. I'm actually starting to lean toward either a 300win mag or 7mm rem mag
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

Unlike most everyone else here on LRH, I much prefer the 7 Rem mag to a .300 anything... most of the time. Less recoil for identical BC's, and you can't tell me an elk is going to tell the difference between a 210 gr 30 cal bullet and a 180 gr 7mm. I've shot way to many to be convinced otherwise.

There may be flames.

As has been stated, I would go 6.5-284, if you want a 6.5. That round has a long and successful history as a 1000 yard target round. It is proven.
LR, done right, is not a cheap shooting discipline. Feel fortunate if you are able to shoot enough to need new barrels, and gladly put on Kreigers! (more flames, maybe)

My favorite shoot everything from prairie dogs to elk cartridge is the 7 mag. If you're shooting deer your effective range, with heavy bullets if you have a proper twist rate, will exceed what your factory Savage will most likely be capable of. There is a wealth of good load data, great components including the excellent RWS brass, and it isn't as hard on barrels as some of the real hot rods.
Have you considered what glass you are going to use? Good glass with accurate and reliable turrets is just as important as the rifle itself. I would suggest NF and S&B.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
Unlike most everyone else here on LRH, I much prefer the 7 Rem mag to a .300 anything... most of the time. Less recoil for identical BC's, and you can't tell me an elk is going to tell the difference between a 210 gr 30 cal bullet and a 180 gr 7mm. I've shot way to many to be convinced otherwise.

There may be flames.

As has been stated, I would go 6.5-284, if you want a 6.5. That round has a long and successful history as a 1000 yard target round. It is proven.
LR, done right, is not a cheap shooting discipline. Feel fortunate if you are able to shoot enough to need new barrels, and gladly put on Kreigers! (more flames, maybe)

My favorite shoot everything from prairie dogs to elk cartridge is the 7 mag. If you're shooting deer your effective range, with heavy bullets if you have a proper twist rate, will exceed what your factory Savage will most likely be capable of. There is a wealth of good load data, great components including the excellent RWS brass, and it isn't as hard on barrels as some of the real hot rods.
Have you considered what glass you are going to use? Good glass with accurate and reliable turrets is just as important as the rifle itself. I would suggest NF and S&B.
No flames. I'm a big 300 fan and shoot with(or used to) a few 7mm guys and I think(for whatever that's worth) that its a good cartridge, and have looked into buying something in the platform in the future because it makes no sense to become a fanboy of any one cartridge just because. I would encourage the OP to go with the 6.5, since that is what he is leaning so hard toward.

That said, as proven as the 7mm round is, so is the 300, and then some.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

I wouldn't want my posts to be misconstrued as putting the .300's down. They are kick-ass rounds. I shot a .300 Jarrett until the barrel went south. That was an elk stompin' machine! I just got tired of the extra recoil. The 7 mags I, and numerous clients, shot seemed to kill just as dead but with less drama. At this point if I was going to go bigger than my 7 mag/270 WSM's , it would be .338 Lapua or similar.