Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber Suggestions...have at it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

The 300 win that I already have I want to keep as my deer rifle. I want something new thay I can build up slowly as money becomes more available.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

For a target or steel rifle the 260 is awsome. But if your thinking deer out too 1000 it starts to get prety iffy. Not saying it wont but would certenly not be ideal. If you plan on eventualy hunting at long range you will probably end up with a mag of 7mm or larger of some sort. The 260 would be perfect for practice at all ranges you are thinking (thats what I do with my .243) and the ammo will save ou a bunch over a magnum.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

I am reading through this and see he wants someone to say go buy a savage 6.5 creedmore. So that is what you need to do and not look back.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Bronze Member

Why the 260 over say a 6.5 creedmoor? Just wondering
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntthedistance View Post
I am reading through this and see he wants someone to say go buy a savage 6.5 creedmore. So that is what you need to do and not look back.
Well nobody has given me any reason against the creedmoor usually people will tell you why its not the best idea but nobody has really done that. Yes I'm buying a savage and yes it woll probably be a creedmoor because nobody has much to say about it thats bad. (Besides throat erosion)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Looking at the choices I would go with the 260 in a short action or the 6.5x284 in a long action. Both have the brass advantage over the Creedmore, that would be the main thing IMO. I would shoot the heck out of it and when elk hunting comes around buy a little heavier hitter.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Looking at the choices I would go with the 260 in a short action or the 6.5x284 in a long action. Both have the brass advantage over the Creedmore, that would be the main thing IMO. I would shoot the heck out of it and when elk hunting comes around buy a little heavier hitter.
+1

If you want a 6.5 Creedmoor then that,s what you should get "BUT" I think the reason most
people recomend the 260 is the brass availability (I found 4 brands and they were Rem, Lapua,Nosler and Norma) I also found 21 different types and brands of loaded ammo.

The 6.5 Creedmoor had only 7 different boxes of ammo and two brands of brass (Hornady
and Nosler.

There may be more brands and boxes of ammo for both but I couldn't find them.

Both cartriges are ballistic equal with less than 75 ft/lbs difference. So availability of componants
would be the reason for the 260 and being an offshoot of the 308 there is lots of brass with a different head stamp that is available.

J E CUSTOM