close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

Caliber Suggestions...have at it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 67
Caliber Suggestions...have at it

First off I'm going to buy this gun in the near future
Savage Arms

I will be using this gun for a little bit of everything from shooting some steel out to 500-1000 yards (I hope) and hunting deer, coyotes, maybe an elk or sheep one day who knows. I just want a good long range caliber that I can do a little bit of everything with

now my question is what caliber do you guys recommend? I know everybody has their favorites but so far I am really leaning toward the 6.5 Creedmoor. I donít like the 6.5x284 cause of barrel life and a few other reasons. that being said what do you guys have to say about it??? I love the gun so don't lecture me on savage or tell me to go get a Remington 700. I have nothing against remmy's there great guns but I really like this Long Range Hunter. Now you guys got my input so have at it....
__________________
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
-Ted Nugent
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,245
    Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

    Just out of curiousity, why would you choose the Savage over the Remington 700, if you plan on using just the action? I'm not trying to discredit your choice, just trying to gain some insight as to why.

    Also, if I had to choose a 100-1000 yard caliber....7mmSTW or .280 Ackley Improved.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: SW VA
    Posts: 67
    Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
    Just out of curiousity, why would you choose the Savage over the Remington 700, if you plan on using just the action? I'm not trying to discredit your choice, just trying to gain some insight as to why.

    Also, if I had to choose a 100-1000 yard caliber....7mmSTW or .280 Ackley Improved.
    I guess I wasnt clear and I really thought I would be avoiding this but this is NOT a thread about which gun to get, its about caliber. you offered a caliber that the gun that I AM BUYING isn't offered in. I'm buying a savage end of story. I like savage and I don't want a remmington. I have remington's they are great guns. I also have a few savages and I like them too. I'm Buying the gun that I attached in my original post. now again for my question what Caliber (that is offered in the gun that I attached) would you recommend for what I'm going to be doing with it.

    I really hate asking a question like this and getting people trying to change my mind I know what gun I want now if you have advise offer it but don't try changing my mind about somthing I didn't ask about. Thanks

    and I'm not using the action I'm buying the gun and using it as is
    __________________
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
    -Ted Nugent
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,245
    Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

    You asked a question. I gave a legit answer. I wasn't trying to change your mind. I was asking why you chose one over the other. None of the factory offered calibers are gonna do what you want efficienctly, unless it is a large-capacity magnum like a .300 Win Mag or larger. And no factory gun under $1,500 is going to be shooting at 1000 unless it has been trued, and you are using precision handloads. Out of the calibers listed .300 Win Mag, or .338 Lapua would be your only options.

    Whatever, I'm over it.

    I tried to be helpful, but piss on this....I'm gonna go play with my 700's....
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 1,661
    Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

    Grices Gun Shop in Clearfield PA has this gun new for 845$. If it were me, I would look at a 6.5x284 or the 300 win!
    __________________
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - 6.5x284 Build Thread
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - 6.5x284 Ongoing Shooting Thread
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-build-168857/ - 338 Lapua Build Thread
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: SW VA
    Posts: 67
    Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
    You asked a question. I gave a legit answer. I wasn't trying to change your mind. I was asking why you chose one over the other. None of the factory offered calibers are gonna do what you want efficienctly, unless it is a large-capacity magnum like a .300 Win Mag or larger. And no factory gun under $1,500 is going to be shooting at 1000 unless it has been trued, and you are using precision handloads. Out of the calibers listed .300 Win Mag, or .338 Lapua would be your only options.

    Whatever, I'm over it.

    I tried to be helpful, but piss on this....I'm gonna go play with my 700's....
    Did you notice I said 500-1000(hopefully) yea I will eventually need work done on it but as it is I'm going to shoot it for awhile first. I just want to know what people think about the caliber offerings
    __________________
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
    -Ted Nugent
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: SW VA
    Posts: 67
    Re: Caliber Suggestions...have at it

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
    Grices Gun Shop in Clearfield PA has this gun new for 845$. If it were me, I would look at a 6.5x284 or the 300 win!
    I did consider the 300win but I already have one. I just love something about the 6.5 creed. I can't find a downside to that caliber
    __________________
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
    -Ted Nugent
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC