Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which Caliber/Rifle to Choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which Caliber/Rifle to Choose?

lots of good advice. Ill be short and to the point. 7-08, 308 win, 260 (little small for 700yard elk) and 300wsm would all be great guns. I am also a lefty and just got a savage 116 FLHSS in 300wm, had my smith put on a williams brake and now i have a 300 mag that weighs 8lbs scoped, recoils less than my .308 and hits like a sledgehammer. All of those mentioned will get it done.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 PM

Do you ever get more technical when selecting a caliber to hunt a specific animal with such as looking at the engergy at 500 yards and determining whether that would be adequate for your goal, or just say "I'll take my 30-06 for my deer that I'm expecting to hunt at 600 yards, should be good." Newbie hunter just trying to learn more, not offend anybody.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerngr1 View Post
Do you ever get more technical when selecting a caliber to hunt a specific animal with such as looking at the engergy at 500 yards and determining whether that would be adequate for your goal, or just say "I'll take my 30-06 for my deer that I'm expecting to hunt at 600 yards, should be good." Newbie hunter just trying to learn more, not offend anybody.
Welcome to LRH.com. To answer your question from my perspective... yes, I spend a lot of time crunching numbers to ensure that my rifle will get the job done. I like to make sure the bullet that I choose will carry me as far as the caliber is capable. If you choose the wrong bullet for the wrong application, it won't matter how big the caliber is, you won't be able to kill an animal properly. You won't want to use a 130grn bullet in a 30-06 to shoot 600yds. You will want at least a 165grn bullet minimum for that application.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Tank. ...especially as you extend your reach.

At shorter distances, there's so much overlap that it's almost not necessary.

-- richard
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM

So do you look at how much energy the bullet is going to impact the target with? So for instance if if a bullet impacts the target with 1,200 lt/lb of energy at 500 yards is that enough or do you want something with more? What is that magic number in ft/lb's that you look for?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

rather than looking to energy for your answer, look to velocity. Your bullet needs "X" amount of velocity to open reliably. Some bullets need more than others. A-MAX's for example have a fairly low Minimum Expansion Velocity. Barnes on the other hand not so much (not to say that barnes are bad, I use them alot). MEV is usually between 1650fps and 2000fps. I always like to keep it higher by quit a bit, usually 400fps. All that being said I havent ever had a shot long enough to stretch a round to that point. hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
rather than looking to energy for your answer, look to velocity. Your bullet needs "X" amount of velocity to open reliably. Some bullets need more than others. A-MAX's for example have a fairly low Minimum Expansion Velocity. Barnes on the other hand not so much (not to say that barnes are bad, I use them alot). MEV is usually between 1650fps and 2000fps. I always like to keep it higher by quit a bit, usually 400fps. All that being said I havent ever had a shot long enough to stretch a round to that point. hope that helps.
So you look at velocity at the POI? That would be interesting to know how much each bullet mfg. needs to do this to an optimum level.