Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which Caliber/Rifle to Choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Which Caliber/Rifle to Choose?

I want to buy a new rifle to use for game at longer range and thought I would consult some advise on this forum before I go out and purchase a new rifle. First, I live and do most of my hunting in Alaska so the intended game for this rifle will most likely be: Dall Sheep, Mtn. Goat, Sitka Blacktail Deer, Elk, Caribou and possibly Moose (with larger species like moose being less likely to be taken at longer range). Anyhow, I want to be able to shoot out to around 700 (more or less) yards with this rifle when the perfect conditions arise. Thus I am left with choosing a rifle that can shoot this accurately. I am left handed and would like the rifle to be stainless/synthetic due to the climate that we have here. I have looked at a number of factory rifles and really like feel and features of the Tikka T3 Lite. However I will consider all opinions or advise on what to get. As well as this, I would like a smaller caliber with somewhat mild recoil so I can practice enough to gain the proficiency required to shoot at long range. With that in mind, I am looking at the following calibers for this rifle (.260 rem, 6.5x55, .270 win, 7mm08) since this is what the factory Tikka is offered in. However, like I said before I will consider all calibers including custom varieties. As well as this I will be reloading for this rifle and will also consider turning the gun into an Ackley Improved if that will help. Anyhow, essentially my question is what gun and caliber would you pick for the conditions I have outlined. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Luke
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which Caliber/Rifle to Choose?

might be pricey but what bout a 6.5-284. Or a 270. wsm
Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

An oldie but a goodie 300 Win Mag
UB
Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

I like my .270 for pretty much everything that moves. But I just boughtt a new sstl LH .338 Win Mag in case I ever come back to AK. One thing's driving me crazy now is that 6.5-284 thing, I sure feel the 'gottahaveone' creepin over me. Practically I'd think the .260 or 7-08 would be great for all but grizzlers, and you wouldnt need a custom rifle like with the 6-5-284. Good luck on your choice and your hunts.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=lgraham;380112]I want to buy a new rifle to use for game at longer range and thought I would consult some advise on this forum before I go out and purchase a new rifle. First, I live and do most of my hunting in Alaska so the intended game for this rifle will most likely be: Dall Sheep, Mtn. Goat, Sitka Blacktail Deer, Elk, Caribou and possibly Moose (with larger species like moose being less likely to be taken at longer range). Anyhow, I want to be able to shoot out to around 700 (more or less) yards with this rifle when the perfect conditions arise. Thus I am left with choosing a rifle that can shoot this accurately. I am left handed and would like the rifle to be stainless/synthetic due to the climate that we have here. I have looked at a number of factory rifles and really like feel and features of the Tikka T3 Lite. However I will consider all opinions or advise on what to get. As well as this, I would like a smaller caliber with somewhat mild recoil so I can practice enough to gain the proficiency required to shoot at long range. With that in mind, I am looking at the following calibers for this rifle (.260 rem, 6.5x55, .270 win, 7mm08) since this is what the factory Tikka is offered in. However, like I said before I will consider all calibers including custom varieties. As well as this I will be reloading for this rifle and will also consider turning the gun into an Ackley Improved if that will help. Anyhow, essentially my question is what gun and caliber would you pick for the conditions I have outlined. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Probably one of the 300 mags would fit all of your game best. (A little big for the smaller game but big enough for the largest game you mentioned.

I like all of the calibers you mentioned but they are a little light for elk and moose at 700+ yards.

Also with the big 30s you could have lighter bullets (165 to 180) for deer size game and go to
200+ grain bullets for elk and moose and if you encountered a large brown you would have
enough rifle.

I don't know if Tikka makes one in 300 win or 300 RUM but Remington makes a all stainless
synthetic in 300 RUM that would fit the bill.

I would go with the 300 RUM and cover all bases
Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

I have had my eye on the Savage in 6.5-284 it is a great caliber medium sized game.

Savage Arms Firearms > 111 Long Range Hunter

This might not be the best mountain rifle however at 8.6lbs + Scope.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

6.5-284, 6.5 WSM, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM

The 300 WSM should give you lots of good shooting and barrel life and IMO, is enough gun for anything that walks in Alaska or anywhere else in NA.

The 300 WSM will kick a little but you can put a limbsaver on it. I use a slip on recoil pad when shooting mine and i can shoot it all day long and take off the slip-on for the field.

RL17 should work well in any of the above cartridges, giving you 100-200 fps more velocity than other powders... or... load it down a little and get the same or slightly higher velocities with less pressure.

-Mark