Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber choosen.....which bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

Caliber choosen.....which bullet?

well after much researh I decided on a .338 lapua, I am getting ready to put my parts list together and need help with bullet choice. Remember this gun is gonna be taking shot from 500-1000 yard elk shots, maybe longer if I ever get comfortable with it.

I am using a 30 inch barrel #8 contour with a 1-10 twist.

There is alot of controversy over the 300 match kings, thoughts on long range elk?

The 225 grain accubond seems to be popular and seems to have good .BC

lost river well knowone really likes them much

What is gonna be my best choice bullet for long range elk hunting out of a .338.

Keeping in mind the shots are shoulder-high shoulder shots and exactly where I place them. What is gonna be the best!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Caliber choosen.....which bullet?

Well hmmmmmmm,

I'm most probably in the minority here as I notice that most are leaning towards the 225s. From my own research and talking to the folks that know and from working up hunting loads I have some experience. Plus as it looks like you are going to build or have the rifle built I presume that you are considering throat considerations for the bullet of choice (which is good) I'd say this:

I'd recommend a 250gr bullet over any 225gr bullet. Why, if you're shooting a 338 you may as well shoot a 338 and not a 30 cal. (That's just me, though)

Also if it'll seat a 250gr bullet and the chamber is properly cut, the 225 will shoot just as well.

I have a Holland brake on the old girl and recoil is not a problem on the shoulder. It was on the scope mounts though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Of bullets of that weight, if I were designing the rifle from the ground up I'd go with the Wildcat 252 gr RBBT and have the the throat cut so that you have as much room for powder as practicable.

Why: In my rifle factory REM 700, they shot 1/4 MOA. Their jacket is great and seeing as how the griz will be delisted in a year or so, I'll be able to defend the elk carcass and let the griz have the gut pile. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, I'd recommend if you are going to go with a gunsmith, I'd recommend one on this board as they have the long range hunting/shooting experience and have great track records and reputations.

Sounds like a great project. Keep us posted.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

well I am pretty sure I am either gonna go with the 300 SMK, or the Scenar 250 grain.

I am leanng towards towards the 250 scenar because it seems the hollow point design will be a little more reliable at extended ranged and do more damage than the 300 SMK?

Someone tell me if I am wrong???
Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Bronze Member

crud, I thought the sierra bullet was solid. disreaguard the above post.

Last question, So now Lapua is out!

What am I gonna have to do barrel wise to be able to shoot 300 grain bullets out of my gun. Are they gonna significantly reduce my powder charge? I would like to load them at 2900fps out of a 30 inch tube. Any help would be great. I am really still thowing around alot of ideas, but I crunched some numbers on the 300 SMK and its one incredible bullet!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

ok, I just read through enough posts in about 40 pages to realize it has more than taken its fair shair of game at all types of different distances. I guess its kinda like asking which truck of the big three is better, I gonna get alot of answers both good and bad.

So a 300 Grain SMK out of a 30 inch tube, 1-10 twist, gonna go for 2900 or whatever the gun will shoot accuratly.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Richard Graves also makes an outstanding 300 grain bullet as well as a 350. Might need a bigger case and/or a faster twist for the 350 though. But I'm not sure much below 50 cal could touch that thing.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

What am I gonna have to do barrel wise to be able to shoot 300 grain bullets out of my gun. Are they gonna significantly reduce my powder charge? I would like to load them at 2900fps out of a 30 inch tube. Any help would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me again.....

Talk to or email Shawn Carlock or Kirby Allen on this forum. Both can answer all of your questions and make responsible recommendations.

That 300 gr SMK uses up a bunch of powder space if the chamber isn't made correctly. What I attempted to say in an earlier post is that the bbl can be throated long for the 300 smk and still shoot the lighter/shorter bullets well if things are done properly.

Also I seem to remember being informed that Lilja bbls get a little bit better velocities than some others. A 30" 3 groove otta be super for your project.