Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber Choice for short Action???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Caliber Choice for short Action???

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
You didn't require it to be a repeater, so I'll vote for a single shot 338 Edge.

Here's my short action Savage with a Stockade stock. I went with a little different trigger. Rifle Basix Sav-2.

Barrel is a 32" Stainless fluted McGowan chambered and threaded by Sin Arms.
32" Hey! 32"... Hummm... Why mine only has 28"... :-( Why? We are changing barrels.... that's it!!! I got it!!! Ha..ha..ha.... That's it!!! That thing should
be shooting close to 2900 fts... I used to like you!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Another thing to consider with your barrel is length. For a custom rig using the slower powders for the heavier bullets, you would benefit greatly with a 26" to 28" barrel. This would offer good velocity and efficiency in its burn. Just did a little poking around, and looks like a 1:9 would be optimum. Berger says 1:10 for a 168grn and I believe the 162 A-max likes a 1:9. Some of our Aussie/Kiwi brothers would know better. They really like shooting the A-max's and Accubonds.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 07-30-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Well I'll give the 270 WSM a plug, deer and elk can not deny it's awesomeness
Ill second that. And put a plug in for the whole WSM family over a 7-08, or a 308 out to ranges of 700-800 yds on critters, there isnt even a contest.
If youve got a short action and wanna lay the smack down on critters at long range, then why handicap yourself? Go with a WSM.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 AM

gotta plug the 6.5 rem mag with a 1:8 twist very close to the 264 win mag and does have a level of nostalgia
Old 07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
32" Hey! 32"... Hummm... Why mine only has 28"... :-( Why? We are changing barrels.... that's it!!! I got it!!! Ha..ha..ha.... That's it!!! That thing should
be shooting close to 2900 fts... I used to like you!
If I remember correctly, the only reason I bought the 32" was to give to you since I messed up on your 28". But you wanted to keep the 28".

I used to like you too.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Tank, my old style Ruger 7 mm Mauser with a 1 in 9 barrel loves those 162 gr A-Max bullets.The average for ten 300 yd groups is 1.7 inches.
Russ
Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hatch View Post
Tank, my old style Ruger 7 mm Mauser with a 1 in 9 barrel loves those 162 gr A-Max bullets.The average for ten 300 yd groups is 1.7 inches.
Russ
Thanks for the conformation. I figured as much. I think that is the twist I was going to go with when considering a 7mm build.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!