Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caliber Choice for short Action???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

Caliber Choice for short Action???

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this site. I have always wanted to get into long range hunting and now I am finally going to do it. I have a savage model 10 short action in 7mm-08 that I will be building from. My dilemma is whether to stay with the 7-08 or to change to a different short action caliber. I will be mainly chasing pronghorn, deer, elk and black bear. I figure with the 7-08 that I would limit myself to 800 yds for deer and pronghorn and 600 yards for black bear and elk. Am I underestimating the long range capability of the 7-08? Is there a different short action caliber that I could switch to that could stretch out my distance a little further. I will be doing my own reloadig if that helps with anything. Also I thought I might list what I am going to be building my rifle with.

1. Barrel by Shilen or Pac Nor (haven't decided yet)
2. Gun Stock by Stockade
3.Trigger by Sharp Shooter
4. Action by savage

Scope has still yet to be determined

Any advice would be great right now. Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Caliber Choice for short Action???

I like all the choices thus far. Is it an older Savage that does not have the Accu-trigger? Just make sure that when you get the new stock that you get pillars put in for the action and have it bedded with Devcon or the like. I think for what you want to do, you should stick with the 7mm-08 to start. If you are hand loading, then using the 168 Berger or 162 Hornady A-max over top of H4350 or RL17 will give you the performance you are looking for.

7-08 in my opinion is highly underrated and one of the biggest lovers of .308 Winny (J.E. Custom) is going in the same direction for the same purposes (essentially). Both barrels you have chosen will do just fine. Make sure you get a 1:9 or faster to handle the heavier pills. Make sure you try using Mag primers as well as Large rifle to ensure your best burn and fps with the lowest ES and SD.

As far as glass is concerned, make sure you get the best you can afford. Leupy, Night Force, Nikon Tactical, Horus and S&B will be on the top of the list. If those are out of the question, then the Leupy VX series, Nikon Monarch series, Burris Full Field series, Sightron SIII, Vortex, Nikon Buckmaster series and Bushnell Elite series should be the next to look at. Have fun and take your time looking at what is out there.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Because Elk are one of your targets have you thought of the 7WSM or 7 SAUM. They will launch the 162 a-max or 168 Berger at around 3000 fps from a 24 - 26" barrel. That will extend your range on all the game you listed.

If you don't want to stick with 7mm then the 300 WSM would just about have to be the perfect short action calibre, with elk in mind.

Stu.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Tank for all the advice. You were right on the savage action being an older one. It was my first rifle I bought back in 2000 and it does not have the accu-trigger. Sharp Shooters said that their trigger will work on the action.

For Glass I have been looking at the Nikon Tactical with the 50mm lens. I am a big fan of Nikon so I am really leaning towards them. I think with that scope paired with one of the calibers mentioned I will be ready to send bullets out to 800 yds.

Thanks guys for all your input. Hopefully I will have this rifle setup in no time. I will post pics when its finished.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Well I'll give the 270 WSM a plug, deer and elk can not deny it's awesomeness

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

You didn't require it to be a repeater, so I'll vote for a single shot 338 Edge.

Here's my short action Savage with a Stockade stock. I went with a little different trigger. Rifle Basix Sav-2.

Barrel is a 32" Stainless fluted McGowan chambered and threaded by Sin Arms.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Since you are planning on changing the barrel and using a Stockade stock have Kevin true it and time and put a Benchmark barrel on it.
His service is excellent. I had him work on my rifle and was very impressed.