Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Caldwell Lead Sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Bronze Member

Caldwell Lead Sled

I have some big mag guns to test and was given a lead sled to test some loads , the problem I see here is that the recoil ( shock ) is going to be taken up by the rest and transfered to the gun and scope . Although it will help recoil I think it will be extremely hard on scopes . I think you need some recoil from the gun to also shoot accurately.
Any opionions out their on this ?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Caldwell Lead Sled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eye View Post
I have some big mag guns to test and was given a lead sled to test some loads , the problem I see here is that the recoil ( shock ) is going to be taken up by the rest and transfered to the gun and scope . Although it will help recoil I think it will be extremely hard on scopes . I think you need some recoil from the gun to also shoot accurately.
Any opionions out their on this ?
Never put a cheap scope on a big mag with/without the lead sled.

Yes the rifle ends up absorbing more shock than it would against your shoulder, but if you are developing loads it takes usually quite a bit of shooting and with big mags sooner or later you are going to start flinching, pushing, or wrenching which makes it very difficult to (read impossible) to really see which loads group the best consistently.

In reality though the sled ends up taking most of the abuse, not the rifle.

If your rifle, mounts, rings, and scope are all of high quality and properly mounted/installed and maintained it should not damage any of them.

Once you have two or three good loads, then put it to your shoulder and see which works best.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

I use one a lot, But I do not add weight to the tray. (The led sled already weighs as much as
most rifles) and will reduce recoil like it is.

I use the tray (Carpeted) for scope caps, Bolts while cleaning Etc.) The more weight you add to
the sled the harder it is on the stock.

If you have a 8 pound rifle and add another 10+ pounds effectively you have a 18 pound rifle
and recoil will be reduced to a very reasonable level.And the lead sled by it's self weighs that.

If anything the led sled makes it easier on the scopes and mounts because it reduces the
travel of the rifle and the recoil velocity.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Boss Hoss can you go into detail a bit on that last statement? I dont understand why a leadsled wouldnt produce accuracy?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

I use to sight in a lot of 12 slug guns when I lived in Iowa. They can beat on you pretty hard. I found that if you slip a 1/2 a bag of lead shot in between the recoil pad and your shoulder it takes out a ton of recoil. This is not the best way to practice with your rifle, but I find it the way to go for load work up and sight in with the mules with out brakes. I feel this is a much better choice than a ledsled for accuracy and also for the rifle. You still have full control of the rifle and your point of aim.

Jeff
Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

I shoot big bore rifles as well. 7mm Ultra, 338 Ultra, and 375 Ultra. I use the lead sled but do things a bit different than others. I went to the local sports store and bought a 100 lbs dumbell. Took a dremel tool and carved a half moon into the handle so it sits on the tray. This seems to work awesome. The gun and sled never move. The dumbell was much less than buying lead shot in bags. I can shoot all day at the range and not feel a thing.

I also I agree with putting a top notch scope on your rifle. I see so many people at the range with big rifles and end up blowing up their scope cause it because they spent all their money on the rifle. Remember, if you can't see what your shooting, your gun is mo good. Keep in mind, a 338 Ultra mag has 96 lbs of recoil. Recoil is totally subjective. I am a 225 guy and recoil is not a bother, my father is bigger than me and can hardly handle a 7mm mag.

Hope this helps....